Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing the Streams of Nvidia & ATI

Cool Crossing the Streams of Nvidia & ATI

Has anyone ever tried placing two video cards of opposite manufacturers in one box? I found some remarks online but I was wondering if our Master investigator can elaborate the optimum approach he would take to handle such and interlude: ! ! !

Yes I was ad-libbing the movie Ghostbusters with the Crossing the Stream scenario, like CERN and the LHC pushing the limits of detonation till we create a black hole scenario! Such Fun

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I have both A Rx280 and A10 on bord grafic and GTX 760 in one box for over a year with out any problems

I had a setup with an i7 -with Intel HD4000-, AMD HD7790 and nVidia GTX650 working fine together under Windows 8.
    Under Windows 8.1 it was impossible to run other than Intel OpenCL tasks, any nVidia or AMD task would crash the system.
    This happened after the original 500W OCZ PSU of the system died, the motherboard may have suffered as a result.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-30-2015 at 07:54 AM.

I am irritated by the lax development of AMD. I like their product but if they are doing nothing but re-naming each new roll out and have done nothing since the 6900 series in new products it might be time to revert to the competition. I am saddened knowing that a company I have supported for more than 10 years is not moving forward. Does anyone else have this same feeling other then I ? So Sad

Yes I agree with you.

I wouldn't say its just renaming old products. I believe the 7xxx series saw a die shrink and was much better performance per watt. The GPU project on WCG ran much better on the 7xxx cards then the 6xxx and 5xxx cards I had. They had better driver support for Linux at that time as well if my memory is correct. I haven't purchased anything new in a while and am a bit outdated to speak on the newer products. With fewer people buying home computers and moving more to tablets and smart phones we may see research dollars going elsewhere. I have been purchasing AMD CPUs since my first new computer which was around the 486 times and ATI shortly before AMD started making the cards. AMD products have served me well over the years and I don't intend to switch all the time. I find its easier to move video cards and CPU's around if they are the same brand. I've had a bad experience with the other GPU brand in the past and i'm still not ready to go back. I think it will be AMD to the end for me.

Well I priced out my First Nvidia GPU, I have not bought it yet but I am deciding on which one to invest in first. Now to decide where to purchase state GPU, New Egg, Amazon, or Ebay?

I've had good experiences with newegg on both purchases and returns.

That is always good to hear Brucifier, I am watching for price drops then I will pounce on the subject and install it in a box I have ready and waiting for a new system. To add to my already running beauty should make for some killer rises in opportunistic targets in the BOINC and non-BOINC world. Yee Haw !

Crossing the Streams of Nvidia & ATI

I like two different GPU's and saving my pennies so I can choose just one. #1 Fire Pro 8100 #2 Titan X Hybrid

Just which one should I go for? Both if I won the lottery !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast