Thread: Collatz Conjecture News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Collatz Conjecture News

Sieve in Production; Large and Solo deprecated
    The collatz_sieve applications have been changed from beta to production status so all volunteers will now be getting them. I also increased the sieve workunit size by 4 times. I expect it will take BOINC a while to re-adjust it's runtime estimates as they are based on floating point calculations which aren't used in Collatz except to show the percent complete. I deprecated the solo_collatz and large_collatz applications and disabled the associated work generators. Any that are in progress will still be validated, you just won't get any new solo or large WUs since you will receive sieve WUs instead.If the sieve application fails immediately after it starts, you probably need to install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ runtime and, since BOINC will send your computer both 32 and 64 bit applications, you will need to install both the 32 and 64 but C++ runtime (see main page for a link or just Google it).

More...

I have just moved on to other stuff. Everything was fine with the cal/brook which is no more.

Doing Collatz on -amongst others- my 25 Watt tdp Socket AM1 Athlon 5350 via the 'AMD Kalindi (HD8400)' IGP nowadays.
    One other card active however is my venerable old HD 4770, via the AMD legacy driver, using OpenCL 1.0
    My son is using his HD 4850 with that same driver (and an old version of the the AMD APP SDK kit, like me with the HD 4770).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-13-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Collatz project - server is down (again).

This project wins the prize for most unreliable server.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Collatz project - server is down (again).

This project wins the prize for most unreliable server.
    Yup, for sure. And when it goes down then you either pop in a new project and then have to go through crunching those down and losing more production, or leave your systems empty and lose production, or run another project alongside....... basically a bummer no matter what, or just move on.

I agree Brucifer - I hate having idle CPUs or GPUs.

I would move on and not return to this project except I really want to reach a personal goal here, the 250 million mark.

When I reach it I can say good bye to Collatz

Fired off a couple instances of it against my better jusdgement. lol.