Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Octocore cpu i7 3.0ghz 5960x

Octocore cpu i7 3.0ghz 5960x

Ordered one of these puppies today, along with an Asus Sabertooth X99 MB, solid state drive and a case. a little steep but anxious to see how it goes. Win 7-64 Pro. they ordered the parts this afternoon and I'm having them stick it together as I would hate to screw it up.... lol they can deal with the DOA stuff if any.

What cooling solution are you going to use with it?

When you go over to the dark side, what about next year a i7-6950X? That's 20 threads running.
    Wait: make that a Intel Xeon E5-2699-v3, the board supports it! (but your wallet doesn't...), 18 cores, 36 threads running.....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-14-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Damn Dirk! :-) Don't go getting sensible on me..... :-) Proly a Corsair H110. Gotta call the shop today. To be honest, it slipped my mind as well as the shop guy. Forgot those don't come with coolers. As for the 18 core Xeon, ya.... that $3,9xx.xx is a bit of a jolt to the wallet. :-) Will just have to see what comes down the road in the future. I guess I could always quit dreaming about a flashy new set of wheels! Lol. Do you have any suggestions on something other than an H110?

Edit: As for waiting for the next great thing in processors, one could die just waiting for the greatest thing. And no matter what you get, they will come out with something else after you buy it. It's just a game they play to extract and squeeze all they can out of you. :-)

Edit2: Yup, gonna be a HT110. And then whatever case is gonna fit it all... I'd originally gone with an Antec One Gaming case, but don't thing that's gonna fit anymore. Don't know how that slipped all our minds yesterday... lol. Oh well, like the bumper stickers say "Shit Happens".
    Last edited by Brucifer; 11-14-2015 at 07:19 PM.

And Dirk, what do you refer to as the dark side?????

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    And Dirk, what do you refer to as the dark side?????
    The side that writes compilers that check on vendor string (and likewise with their math libraries) -instead of checking on CPU features.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-14-2015 at 08:31 PM.

An interesting read. However it's a statement on the manufactuer rather than the purchaser. By the same logic, MS doesn't exactly have a history of ethical performance either, so if joining the dark side is effected simply by buying intel cpu's, then the same should be true for folks using windows.... lol, or driving VW's..... :-) I'm merely trying to get some performance without having to purchase Grand Coolie or Bonnevile Dam. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    An interesting read. However it's a statement on the manufactuer rather than the purchaser. By the same logic, MS doesn't exactly have a history of ethical performance either, so if joining the dark side is effected simply by buying intel cpu's, then the same should be true for folks using windows.... lol, or driving VW's..... :-) I'm merely trying to get some performance without having to purchase Grand Coolie or Bonnevile Dam. :-)
    I hold nothing against the products or the people buying them -I have an i7 myself- but I do have something against Intel Corp. and their methods of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I hold nothing against the products or the people buying them -I have an i7 myself- but I do have something against Intel Corp. and their methods of doing business.
    Well sadly Intel isn't the only company out there that would love to have a monopoly on things....

Anyway, the 5960X sure can put out some serious heat. It's like I need to cut a hole on the wall and exhaust the heat from the radiator outside. Of course then I'd have WWIII on my hands with the spouse. But it doesn't end there as there is also the issue of the rising cost of electricity. That is becoming a concern. Of course one could then spend a small fortune to cover the roof with solar panels... Does it ever end? lol But realistically speaking the days of heavy duty crunching are becoming a thing of the past it seems.

The hobby is becoming a puzzle of how to get as much credits with the fewest Watts.

The i7-5960X is a beast of a (consumer) CPU: 8 cores, 16 threads, 20 MB of L3 Cache, 40 PCI Express lanes and support for 8 DIMMS of DDR4 RAM -but at the expense of a 140 Watt TDP
    (which is quite respectable, considering the eight cores).

You might want to change your CPU in the future for the Xeon E5-2648L v3, a 75 Watt TDP CPU with 12 cores, 24 threads, 30 MB of L3 cache, 40 PCI Express lanes and a max of 768 GB RAM -provided your motherboard will take the CPU and the needed ECC RAM, you'll need eight 96 GB DIMMS to get to 768 GB (and a small fortune).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-08-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast