Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Octocore cpu i7 3.0ghz 5960x

Sigh..... It is warming up here and thus the heat output of the i7-5960x is quite apparent. Here I thought that it would be a good system for OGR which it is however it really puts out some heat even water-cooled. More than I had expected. On the other hand I picked up a couple nvidia 970's and was quite surprised at how cool they run for their output on rc5. They do good too on collatz. So I'm thinking of picking up a couple more and retiring my older amd gpu's to help keep my heat issues down. I know, I know, I'm being a traitor to the cause but I've gotta do something about the heat.

Your No traitor as I mentioned months ago I too am looking to vacate the premise of AMD GPU's and go completely NVidia. I have been reporting on Our Team's Facebook page about Nvidia showing great results for the higher end GPU products including one that only puts out 50 watts tdp.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    So I'm thinking of picking up a couple more and retiring my older amd gpu's to help keep my heat issues down
    Which AMD GPUs did you have that heat was an issue? HD 69xx series?

57xx, then the Ghost model. And R7-280 I think it is. The issue with AMD's too goes with running RC5 on 64bit systems. Maybe I'm missing something, but I also have the SDK's and opencl stuff installed so I don't know. The nvidia 970's, 750's run rc5 just fine with the cuda client and drivers.

Problem with the 8-core i7-5960X remains the 140 Watt TDP that need to be addressed/disposed of. It is even higher than the hungry version of the AMD FX (125 Watt), but the i7-5960x has double the threads. The two turbo FX CPUs (FX-9370 and 9590) are even worse, heat-wise: 220 Watt...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-08-2016 at 09:09 PM.

But the 16 threads on optimal mode sure crunch through those OGR work units nicely. The other problem is the dnetc apps are pretty well optimized to extract about all that can be sucked out of the cpu/gpu's and that really gets them warmed up. I don't noticed the generated heat out of the boinc projects like collatz, asteroids, nfs to the same degree as the dnetc stuff. So one might say why keep crunching dnetc, however I've been crunching them for years and years and I like those projects...... So I guess it's just keep living with the heat. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    So I guess it's just keep living with the heat. lol
    Or go for a phase-change cooler -but it might be cheaper to relocate to Alaska...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-09-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Hmmmmmmmmmm :-))))) very interesting!! As you mentioned thought it is a tad bit pricey considering it's only good for one system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123