Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Computer help

Hi guys I need some advice , my 6 core set up died this summer, seems the board and processor died, I bought a newer Asus board that has a AM3+ socket, bought a used processor that was on a early bios revision listed for the board and fired it up..... no post beep but a power light on the board turned on, the processor fan, hard drives started up but the fans on the video card didn't run... this is the second processor I've tried that fits the socket, no post. I have a new job working maintenance at a jail so I'm making much less money than I used too so I can't keep on spending money on this and hope to get results, I also changed the power supply to one that I know works... any suggestions ? also my memory is on the boards approved list

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

Tried your 'dead' six-core too? Both board and CPU dead seems unlikely for the old set-up. Tried both set-ups without video card yet?

Your video card, is it a PCI Express version supported by the motherboard??? as in using a 3.0 card on a 2.0 motherboard? I've had that happen to me before where the system wouldn't boot up and video card fans wouldn't turn.

I bought a new Asus M5A78L M/USB3 board and a Phenom2 B55 AM3 cpu, my six core won't do anything in it either it is a 1060T I believe. What happened was I left the computer running upstairs in my man cave in July or August with the door closed and the A/C off in that room, I came in and everything was frozen, I hit the reboot switch and nothing happened , I switched processors and nothing so I assumed the board and processor both overheated. I bought the new Asus M5a and used but suppose to be good processor, I plugged in my old video card which is a geforce 560 and nothing, this board also has on board video so I pulled out my card and put the monitor directly to the boards video output and still nothing......do they make a "test" processor that can be plugged into the board to see if it post ??

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

I don't get any beep from the bios , nothing also if I pull the processor out after trying to start it it is cold

RMA the new ASUS board, looks like a DOA to me...
    On the other hand: The Phenom X2 B55 is not on the list of supported CPUs (your old Phenom X6 1090T -according to your profile- is, BTW)
    Your old Phenom might be toast however. Best try to find someone in your neighbourhood with an old spare CPU that is on the list, or ask the board reseller to test it for you.

BTW: Phenom X2 B55 does not support RAM faster than DDR2/DDR3-1066, the board itself will only accept DDR3 RAM, from 1066 up to 2000 MHz.

If the board is not dead: try to get hold of a 2nd hand FX 8350...
    If the board is dead, your X6 might still be alive. You can hunt for a 2nd hand AM3+ board then, e.g. the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, that seems to run even better with X6 Phenoms than with FX CPUs.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-29-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Is it by chance the same memory in both systems? Have you tried to dropping to 1 stick(switching if you have pairs) and unplugging hard drives and everything. Start minimum system until it posts and then add one at a time?
    Last edited by Jason1478963; 11-29-2015 at 01:33 PM.

You might want to buy some dirt-cheap (2 GB -new- costs 12 Euro's here, 2nd hand is even cheaper) DDR3-1066 RAM to test the board(s), as Jason adviced.
    Just plug in a CPU and one RAM stick and hope for the BIOS to come up. Hope for you the 1090T survived...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-30-2015 at 10:19 PM.

This is interesting to chime in that it is possible to decipher problems using simple techniques to solve just about any problem and there is plenty of brain power in this team to solve just about anything. Lets hope the story continues I am interested in seeing Blackadder return to the stats! Great Job Team !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Might want to buy a 2nd hand Asus M5A78L M/USB3 myself, they do around 25 Euro's here (Heck, even new they can be bought below 60 Euro's).
    Don't know if I can still buy a Phenom X2 B55 though...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-05-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast