Thread: Intel GPU's

Intel GPU's

I have seen that some projects are accommodating HD series graphics units. Has anyone taken a hard look at this stuff IRT whether or not it would be wothwhile to mess around with these on crunching projects?? Like Intel NUC's, like the NUCi5RYK has a built in HD6000. Question is would that gpu be worth a hoot on a project and which project if so. And then what about heat related issues and cooling and such???? -- Smaug

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I did get some GPU work done with an i5 with a HD4000 over a year ago. Collatz I think. Not sure about others. Possibly Einstein. It was a while back.
    May require some config file fiddle.
    But not unreasonable to assume that you can still get it done or to assume that a HD6000 would be better than the HD4000.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

My i7-3770 replaced my i3-2100 for two reasons:
    8 threads vs 4 threads
    HD4000 (able to crunch) vs HD2000 (unable to crunch)

Biggest disappointment was that with the advent of Windows 8.1 I couldn't get the HD4000 working alongside a Radeon HD7790 and a GeForce GTX650, BOINC-wise.
    As soon as OpenCL started the machine would crash. Windows 8 didn't have that problem with me. Haven't yet tried it with Windows 10.

BTW, no app_config.xml fiddle, just the obligatory line in the cc_config.xml: <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>,
    just choose the projects that support the Intel GPU -and enable the GPU on your account page for that project.

BTW2: I do not know how much it will cost you extra for the Broadwell NUC, but I would buy one with a Iris Pro Graphics 6200 GPU...or even a Iris Pro Graphics 580 (Skylake NUC)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-08-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Ordered a nuc5i5ryk w/16mb mem, 500gb ss storage, hd6000 gpu, win7pro.

Okay, dumb a$$ question time.... figured I'd ask first.... :-) So assume a guy goes and purchases a whimpy i3 intel chip with a built in whimpy gpu with the sole reason for the chip to be a life support system for a powerful amd gpu card. Intent is to leave the built ib ibtel gpu to drive a monitor and for the amd gpu to crunch only, no gpu hooked up ti it. Can you just then install the amd gpu driver and then just let boinc control the amd card for crunching??? I haven't played with a setup like that before and am curious...... ?????

I'd exclude the Intel GPU from crunching in the cc_config.xml...
    If and when you install Windows 10, you'll find that it has a mind of its own, driver-wise. I need to constantly re-install my Zadig AntMiner drivers as Windows keeps replacing them with non-crunching drivers of its own.

You may be in luck though, as by default BOINC only uses the most capable GPU -when it finds GPUs and nothing is specified.

<exclude_gpu>

Don't use the given GPU for the given project. If <device_num> is not specified, exclude all GPUs of the given type. <type> is required if your computer has more than one type of GPU; otherwise it can be omitted. <app> specifies the short name of an application (i.e. the <name> element within the <app> element in client_state.xml). If specified, only tasks for that app are excluded. You may include multiple <exclude_gpu> elements. If you change GPU exclusions, you must restart the BOINC client for these changes to take effect.
    Code:
    <exclude_gpu>
       <url>project_URL</url>
       [<device_num>N</device_num>]
       [<type>NVIDIA|ATI|intel_gpu</type>]
       [<app>appname</app>]
    </exclude_gpu>
    In your case:
    Code:
    <options>
       <exclude_gpu>
          <type>intel_gpu</type>
       </exclude_gpu>
    </options>
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-08-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Thank you! :-)