Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUC NUC, who's there??

NUC NUC, who's there??

So here I be, playing with my NUC5i5RYK. Uses much more juice than the raspberry B+ naturally but less than everything else around here. Got a 500g SS SSD, w/16gb ddr3 1600. Win7pro. Pretty happy with it, of course it isn't part of my crunching farm, rather just my toy for surfing, etc. Maybe down the road I'll get brave and try crunching something but I'm not ballsy enough to try and destroy it yet. lol

That is an interesting little rocket ship, and your not going to dabble even one itsy bitsy bit of crunching oh come on Brucifer even the silliest of ventures seems unobtainable when it comes to detaining a dragon from its meal. Really your not going to let the dragon out to play...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I don't think so. I really got this thing to use for my desktop and to be able to haul it back and forth between home and the cabin.

Speaking about your desktop; I have 5 yes that's five different projects running on my Cpu's and just one project on my GPU, then there is the 5 yes five different nci programs running in the background. And yes right now with some serious app.config and percentage controls setup they are all playing nice on BOINC 7.6.9 don't install the new BOINC or the world won't work like it works now. I'll give 7.6.22 another 3 months then I will install it maybe if I feel like it. Boom Chocka Lacka !

Been eyeing a Xeon system and I am not kidding...

Well I just had this long discourse I'd written to you in reply (on my Intel compute stick) to your msg above and the site said I needed to refresh the page, and log in again, and I was already logged in. So much for my first foray into the compute stick. Really had mouse issues as I was using a wireless and it was just a hopping all over the place. Next issue was the nag-ware from MS about win10.... really a massive pain in the butt.

Got my power bill the other day.... wife had the big one, highest one we've ever had. They raised the rates again. Looks like Dirk's foray into the low power world of computing is going to be assuming much more importance. And that's where my NUC comes in! Lol. Gotta stay on subject here you know! :-)

The compute stick is okay for simple stuff like replying to forums :-) however much more than that really taxes it. But what can one expect from an Atom quad core pushing windows???? On the other hand the NUC is working great but it has plenty of memory and a solid state drive so it should be doing this stuff pretty good. I'm concerned about heat though when pushing it. Need to look at alternative cooling methods. I think my next purchase is going to be an ITX (?) format system, and start getting serious about modifying my high power ways. Just getting expensive, and of course not being "green" which is one of your biggies! :-)

I have another i5 quad to put together yet to replace one of my q6600 systems, lower wattage. And that will clean out my goodie shelf. And from there I'll become an avid "Dirk" fan and follow his exploits in his low power world. I think it's good though as it is interesting, and that keeps the brain busy and happy. After all, like they say it isn't about the destination, it's how you get to the destination! Lol. Sounds like you are having a grand time with loading up your systems as best you can!!

As for the i5 system, I think that wil be my toy for experimenting with the intel video crunching.... Just sorta curious where that world is in comparison to the heavy duty amd and nvidia chips. Take care there friend! :-)
    Last edited by Brucifer; 01-26-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    But what can one expect from an Atom quad core pushing windows????
    One can and should expect more, from an Atom Quad core. Bet I can do more on a RasPi2 ARM quad.
    (and there are more capable Atom quads, under the 'Pentium' disguise: the J2900 and N3700)

I have a friend who uses a quad core Atom with a not so capable GPU and gets angry when his Netflix stops and starts because he does not have enough power to operate the 55" 4K gorgeous TV he owns at for HD quality. But if he would just upgrade to a higher quality less then NUC value to play his video's streaming off the net he might just better output.

Back in the late 1900's the State of PA deregulated the ability of citizens of this great state to be able to obtain electricity from which ever provider provided the best pricing. Now 2016 I am paying just 4.6 cents per Kw, Yes the price wars have begun. The generators can not keep increasing pricing when the lower priced out of State sellers are taking more and more of the citizens connections and lower the Big Generators price structure. So we went from at a high point of 11 cents per kw to now basically scratching making a living generating electricity. My own electric bill has come down in the past 8 months to make me very happy.

I feel for you Brucifier I really do, although there is quite a lot of empty lots around here as many people are leaving the state of PA because our Property Taxes are through the roof. If it not one thing to destroy the peoples allowances its another.

Prices here are a bit higher, around 22 (Euro) cents a KWh...explains my interest in low-power computing, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-27-2016 at 10:56 PM.

yup sure does Dirk. I feel for you in that department!! As Nflight pointed out though, if they can't get to you one way then they'll find another way.

As for the atom quad, I've got to play with it some more. The mouse was just giving me fits as the response time was the pits so next is a usb mouse and that should change things a bit over versus the wireless one.

well well well....... So in my morning of boredom I grabbed the Intel Compute Stick and plugged in a usb mouse and keyboard. Using the built in wi-fi. This has been a much much more satisfying experience now. The wireless mouse and keyboard just didn't cut it. This is working just great now. No crunching on anything but for something that is easy to haul around between home and the place in OR, the stick is working just fine. :-) Got a nice large screen, so nice and comfy for surfing the web!!!

It's got win8.1 on it. I've learned to live with it after playing around and getting the settings changed around. Course still get the win10 nag-ware like the dickens. After a bunch of the stories about all the reporting to MS that win10 does, I'm not looking very kindly at using it. Anyone have any experience with 10???
    Last edited by Brucifer; 02-12-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast