Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January ✩✩2016✩✩ competitions☺!

This is enough for a normal Dutch home:

I would need four times as much, running my farm

not enough yet

almost good
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-25-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Still not good enough as the panels are facing just one direction, & when the heat is way over the threshold the power output decreases. A new company has solar pegged for an overtake as the panels continue to rotate on an axis in a semi-vacuum. Thus reducing heat loss to almost nil and increasing the collection to full dawn to dusk potential. I give you V3 Solar -> Scroll down to the spin cell, and then scroll to the Power Tree, see what 10 square feet or about 1 meter squared can produce 10kW. Innovation is key when you think way outside the box. I plan to put up 3 poles with the Power tree mounted on each pole, giving me 30 KW and enough to feed the future cruncher farm.
    Last edited by Nflight; 01-26-2016 at 03:23 AM. Reason: noogies I can't spell - I just found out they will be made in China

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    I give you V3 Solar -> Scroll down to the spin cell, and then scroll to the Power Tree, see what 10 square feet or about 1 meter squared can produce 10kW. Innovation is key when you think way outside the box. I plan to put up 3 poles with the Power tree mounted on each pole, giving me 30 KW and enough to feed the future cruncher farm.
    Looking good!

Without tax incentives it was a difficult amount of money to justify. The prices have come down a lot in recent years and should help lower payback years. I believe it can be a great idea if you plan on being in the same place for a few decades so the system can pay for itself. As the electric companies keep raising electricity rates here and many other places this payback period will keep shrinking along with the number of computers I can run. I look at it as a good investment as most of these systems last a very long time with a slow payback. This could be nice when a guy retires as a certain amount of your electricity will hopefully be free and immune to rising electricity rates. I tried to do a small system as soon as I could to see more return on my investment. Lets not forget the joy of seeing those watt hours add up over the life of the system

I'm not sure what your regulations are but with the equipment your running power is rarely going to leave your panel and overload the utility lines. It may be worth another look if you can do this without upgrading to 3 phase as it should help reduce the cost. When i worked installing solar we would work within a budget and what the best option is at the site. The south facing roof filled up if the budget allows is a great start. It isn't just for climate believers any more as the economics of solar keep getting better with lower panel costs and rising electricity rates. The younger we can afford to do these systems the better our return on investment should be.

Where is the 'like' button when you need one?

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    For those of us who find that we move more often ... here's an amusing ad that you might enjoy from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyqNBzjyQR4
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Where is the 'like' button when you need one?
    There is a small star-icon at the bottom of the post that "Adds to this user's reputation"

But for you I have fashioned the following icon that will specifically "like" that post:
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Sun Chasing that sounds like fun... really?

This is from my Facebook Wall: Many people still don't realize that ‪#‎SolarRoadways‬ heating elements can help keep roads, parking lots and driveways snow/ice free. Please share to help raise awareness. More info at ‪#‎blizzard2016‬
    Lighted and Heated elements melting Snow.jpg

Now the idea is to place these hexagonal units on sidewalks, driveways, and any place exposed to the sun not necessarily the roof of a home. Check over the (Info At) link for the best understanding of what the potential is.
    Last edited by Nflight; 01-28-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added Content and a picture

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12