Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a spare GPU to throw at Milkyway?

I decided to help out a little here, I put the GTX-1080 on the project and let's see what I can get out of it. Right now each work unit takes just 2:11 to complete! The points values aren't really that good for a GPU card to be frustrated by all the network activity that it has to manage plus crunch.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Would you be willing to share your app_config file?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I don't know if it's really better or just me, but I'm using an app_config.xml to crunch about 10 WUs at a time. It's slower than 1 at a time but I think it's squeezing a bit more of performance out of it.
    Would you be willing to share your App_config file?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I think I fixed the thread.

In my latest iteration of the app_config I lowered the number of instances to 6 because I'm running an R9 380, instead of my good old 7970. As much as I liked the 7970 and it gave me great amounts of credits on a double precision hungry project like Milkyway, the difference in the monthly power bill is noticeable now in the summer. Not just because the 7970 sucks up twice the watts or more, but also because it churns out a lot more heat, putting pressure on the AC.

This is a pretty simplified app_config, it probably could use better tweaking, especially as I never actually measured the CPU usage, I just threw in 0.1 of a core per WU and figured it should be enough.

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>milkyway</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.16</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>

<app>
    <name>milkyway_separation__modified_fit</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.02</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>

</app_config>
    Last edited by NeoGen; 05-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.

I just remembered why I don't let MilkyWay try to use my GPU - it needs to be a double-precision GPU, and my HD6670 is only single-precision, so all the tasks i got just failed! Switching preferences back to CPU only and will let MilkyWay have a look in again once the Pentathlon is over.

They're a pretty stern lot over there at MilkyWay: Not only do they require DP capability, they want you to run a pretty recent GPU as well.
    My HD 3850 (AGP) became useless that way, as well as my HD 3870, my HD 4770 and my son's HD 4850.
    All perfectly capable cards, DP-wise, but lacking in the OpenCL capabilities (absent with the HD 3800 series and limited to OpenCL 1.1 with the HD 4700 and HD 4800 series).
    Last thing I read however is even more shocking: the IGP of a AMD A10-7700K was recognised as ATI GPU R600 (R38xx) does not support OpenCL, but that person runs Ubuntu 16.04 with its rotten AMD Radeon support.
    Personally I've crunched MilkyWay on the IGP of my A10-5700..

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    They're a pretty stern lot over there at MilkyWay...
    lol, no worries, just means Einstein gets exclusive use of my GPU for the time being

Are the legacy apps no longer available? I remember two years ago or so taking the 3850 off the shelf and setting it up as anonymous platform with the old pre-OpenCL app. Worked fine then, by the way the two 3850s are still shelved, and I will probably be phasing out 2-4 5830s soon if anyone is interested. The 5830s are still good cards, but I am annoyed with trying to get them to work on newer Linux kernels, the 3850s may be hard to get rid of though. To bad they are not AGP, I could bring some boards back from the dead and do something on them. If memory serves the 3850 did a Milkyway in 17-19m (non-OpenCL) and the 5830s clear two units every 2m or so.

It's all OpenCL nowadays at MilkyWay, GPU-wise I'm afraid.
    This rules out the HD 3000 series as modern OS-es do not support OpenCL for them.
    The HD 5000 series should work under Windows, using this driver, but MilkyWay seems to have a very rotten GPU detection, spitting out 'Message from server: ATI GPU R600 (R38xx) does not support OpenCL' more often than not, and seemingly regardless of the actual GPU your system is toting.

The OpenCL support for AMD cards under Ubuntu and related OS-es (e.g. Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, etc) became a bit dramatic after release 16.04.
    Even the R3 that is in my Socket AM1 Athlon 5350 can't crunch OpenCL applications, as the OpenSource driver is at OpenCL 1.1 and FGLRX does not work from this version on.
    That same Athlon 5350/R3 combo works flawlessly in Windows 10 and Xubuntu 15.10, btw.
    On the AMD driver page you can read wich cards are supported with the new AMDGPU-Pro Driver Version 17.10 for Ubuntu ​16.04.2
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-21-2017 at 01:35 AM.

I have returned to run some Milkyway. I tried NeoGen's optimized 6 wu's at a time and saw BSOD twice in 30 minutes. So I downgraded the operation to just 4 work units at a time. With 4 running at a time I am finishing them at just under 10 Minutes. Roar I hate this project..... BUt I need to raise my score so I will keep trying...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast