Thread: remember how Geocities was backed up before being taken down? now you can help!

remember how Geocities was backed up before being taken down? now you can help!

after a rousing talk, i was inspired to see what it would take to help back up websites that were soon to go down. say image sharing sites... they're currently doing Virgin Media's userpages, Google Code, Live Journal, and for those of you with huge pipes, FileFront. i'm working on their URL shortener backups as i don't have much space.

i think the specifics of what they do starts at 16:30 or so.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KEEP IN MIND, HOWEVER, is to make sure your ISP doesn't alter HTML or that you're using OpenDNS (say for your entire network). OpenDNS replaces 404 pages.

Can I use whatever internet access for the warrior?

No. We need "clean" connections. Please ensure the following:
    • No OpenDNS. No ISP DNS that redirects to a search page. Use non-captive DNS servers.
    • No ISP connections that inject advertisements into web pages.
    • No proxies. Proxies can return bad data. The original HTTP headers and IP address is needed for the WARC file.
    • No content-filtering firewalls.
    • No censorship. If you believe your country implements censorship, do not run a warrior.
    • No Tor. The server may return an error page instead of content if they ban exit nodes.
    • No free wifi cafe. Archiving your cafe's wifi service agreement repeatedly is not helpful.

We prefer connections from many public IP addresses if possible. (For example, if your apartment building uses a single IP address, we don't want your apartment banned.)
    anywho, want in? here's where to go: http://tracker.archiveteam.org/

faq is here: http://archiveteam.org/index.php?tit...or#Warrior_FAQ

the guy in the talk is Jason Scott, the guy behind textfiles.com, helped get some of the DeCSS case files digitized, works for Archive.org.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'd love to help out with this but Comcast caps my monthly data usage at 300Gb per month for a 75Mbps connection. I can blow through the limits in just a couple of days of downloading if I'm not careful.

I do have OpenDNS set on my firewall but that would be easily changed, I set it because (believe it or not!) somehow I started having problems accessing Google after I pointed my firewall to Google's public DNS servers.

bummer. our household would be hosed if we were capped. between two people that Netflix, a couple torrenters, and one that watches livestreams all waking hours, we do a modest 900gb most months between 5 people.

check out that video if you have the time. it was pretty amusing, at least to me!

Lack of HDD/SSD and crappy ISP: speedtest.JPG
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-11-2016 at 09:38 PM.

the URL Team 2 project only needs a few hundred bytes per second. ISP html injection probably doesn't matter, but OpenDNS probably does

Then it's just the lack of HDD/SSD -in GBs, I've got plenty HDD of olden days, but between 20MB en 40GB and mosty with IDE/PATA connectors (some SCSI disks as well).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-14-2016 at 10:47 PM.