Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crunching like a banshee - Still have over 100 days to go :(

Crunching like a banshee - Still have over 100 days to go :(

This is one odd ball Project. Before you get started you have to know that time is not relative here. This project has work units that will exceed months crunching on one single work unit. You must also have ample memory accessible to this project too, Ample example: as in at this moment with just 29 days actively crunching one work unit I am up to 2.35 GB of disk space as shown on the Disk tab of BOINC Manager.
    I am also showing I have 117 days to go on this one work unit, which means sometime near the middle of October 2016 I should be finished.

This is the brain child of one man working on a protein based application to wriggle his way through unraveling the RNA sequence. More details can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...NA_codon_table It will take more then one day even after you have worked through the hard part of crunching the data to be able to decipher the results in each of the Work Units, sometimes two days which means, lots of focus, determination and hard focused work entails for just one work unit.

I admire the Program Administrator for what he is doing, Sometimes I wish I could help more than crunching one work unit at a time. Oh by the way, ignore the deadline because the actual work unit will be processed whether it arrives on time or late by months. All because the data collected can still be extracted for real results.

RNA@World Admin you're my Hero!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    That takes dedication Nflight. I can't have that long of WUs unless I don't see them, otherwise I get impatient. I know I have a couple of Climate Prediction WUs that also take weeks to crunch but they're on a separate machine that I don't look at often, I just know they are there and someday they will be finished.

Crunch on Nflight! Crunch on!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    That takes dedication Nflight.
    It takes even more than that: I've a WU running that RNA thinks is 'unmanageable' so there's still some 2371 hours to go to the deadline of July 11th...

My Deadline was July 11, and now it changed without my knowledge to Aug 4th, Yes it it still going now some 34 days in and only showing some 21% complete as of this writing!!

An Update now July 14 2016, The crunching continues now 40 days and 25% showing completed. Deadline = 4 Aug 2016, 18:09:29 UTC

Remarks: The timeline has now leveled off at 142 days of what is showing completed compared to what is showing still to crunch. For awhile we were showing a steady climb in total time value edging ever higher little by little. But, after the last several days it has leveled off remaining with in the realm of 140 days total time in the whole process. If by chance this work unit acts like the rest we will slowly slide downward in the coming weeks possibly ending with only 60 or 65 days total time needed to accomplish the whole task. That is hypothetical only.

An Update now July 23 2016, The crunching continues now 49 days and 31% showing completed. Deadline = 18 Aug 2016, 18:09:29 UTC

Remarks: The timeline has now leveled off at 143 days of what is showing completed compared to what is showing still to crunch. For awhile we were showing a steady climb in total time value edging ever higher little by little. But, after the last several days it has leveled off remaining with in the realm of 140 days total time in the whole process. If by chance this work unit acts like the rest we will slowly slide downward in the coming weeks possibly ending with only 60 or 65 days total time needed to accomplish the whole task. That is hypothetical only.

The work unit has ended 54 days 7 hrs 49.19 minutes long. Reason: Computation Error, no frets as even though their was an error mentioned, the time lapsed will still count at least they have in the past. The finished Work unit uploaded a Staggering 1.7Gig file back to the server for processing !

Work Unit has this much time 4,693,759.28 Seconds on record!
    Last edited by Nflight; 07-28-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: WU recorded time frame

I have one that is 33 days underway and still wants 93 days more

I just got rewarded 14,081 points for my work completed !!

I have one running for over 4 months now, and it is not even halfway...
    It had an original deadline of October 18, 2016 and still wants a little under 83 days now!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-22-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast