Thread: August 2016 competitions

August 2016 competitions

August has hit the calendar, again a traditionally weak challenge month. Everybody is either away on holidays, or planning to do, or has just come back so it seems. CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES are stil having theirbreak, but Gridcoin have come to the rescue! What do we do, and when? We start on August 2 -with three of the four challenges for this month, poor planning. First, a project challenge:

August 02 to August 05 - Summer Olympics Challenge
    PrimeGrid organizes a The Riesel Problem Sieve challenge. To participate in the Challenge, please select the TRP-Sieve project in your PrimeGrid preferences section.
    The challenge will begin August 2nd 2016, 21:00:00 UTC and end August 5th 2016, 21:00:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux , Windows and MacIntel 32 bit and 64 bit.
    For sieve tasks such as these, they recommend turning hyperthreading *on* -if your CPU supports it.
    ATTENTION: Please note the atypical starting and ending times of this challenge, three hours later than nominal.
    NOTE: The countdown clock on the front page uses the host computer time. Therefore, if your computer time is off, so will the countdown clock. For precise timing, use the UTC Time in the data section to the left of the countdown clock.
    Scoring Information: Scores will be kept for individuals and teams. Only work units issued AFTER August 2nd 2016, 21:00:00 UTC and received BEFORE August 5th 2016, 21:00:00 UTC will be considered for credit. Since they use BOINC credit for challenge scoring, each task will be worth 109.22 points. A quorum of 2 is NOT needed to award Challenge score - i.e. no double checker. Therefore, each returned result will earn a Challenge score. Please note that if the result is eventually declared invalid, the score will be removed.

Team scores / Individual scores / Summer Olympics Challenge forum page

August 02 to August 09 - Compete against Gridcoin: WCG Monthly Race #001
    Gridcoin steps into the gap that CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES left this month and organizes a WCG challenge, first in their monthly series.
    The old logo, as BOINCstats are still using.
    Compete against Gridcoin: WCG Monthly Race #001 chat and stats page

August 02 to August 09 - Test CPU ONLY applications
    Colombia, that team from the Ukraine, organizes an Albert@Home CPU ONLY challenge. Haven't seen many GPU WUs for Albert lately, that's true.
    Yes, It's Albert.
    Test CPU ONLY applications chat and stats page

August 10 to August 17 - Compete against Gridcoin: GPUGRID Monthly Race #001
    Gridcoin keeps stepping into the gap that CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES left and now organizes a GPUGRID challenge.

Compete against Gridcoin: GPUGRID Monthly Race #001 chat and stats page

I am afraid that SRBase just gets too much priority from the BOINC manager.
    Location for the said box is 'Default' and I had already adjusted my PrimeGrid preferences to take only TRP LLR, PSP Sieve and TRP Sieve.
    I've now set all other projects to 'No new work' -not only on the box, but also in the BAM! accountmanager.

Edit: We just passed KWSN, by the time they've recovered my i7 kicks in.
    Edit2: Looks like they noticed us, time my i7 starts with The Riesel Problem...in about eight hours the first results will come in.
    Edit3: I am under steam, but so is KWSN

I lost a Q6600 probably a dead water cooler. Also missing in action is my wife's desktop I5-4670K that has a faulty UPS but we cannot reach the normal power outlet (its behind a cupboard).
    I'm considering getting a Skylake but haven't worked out which mobo or RAM to buy yet.

I had my eyes on this untill the shop where I wanted to buy it went bankrupt:

Not that I am a gamer, I liked the specs, and the design too. Had it planned in a Corsair Graphite 600T White edition. Shelved that plan for the time being...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-27-2016 at 01:43 AM.

With some 40 minutes to go KWSN seem to have gotten lost somewhere in their shrubberies

Nflight and me have just entered the LAF boat during the Albert@Home challenge.
    'Entered' as in we catched up with them in credits scored during the challenge. We're not boating-up with them, nor did we engage in any Love Boat hanky-panky. With a little under three hours to go I can safely say that the 3rd place is secure, or the froggies must have a surprise for us.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-09-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-27-2016 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I had my eyes on this untill the shop where I wanted to buy it went bankrupt:

Not that I am a gamer, I liked the specs, and the design too. Had it planned in a Corsair Graphite 600T White edition. Shelved that plan for the time being...
    No need to buy Intel -as we all know-, as MSI has come up with a brand-new Zen board that listens to the name MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium AM4 Motherboard -amongst others.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-05-2017 at 07:34 PM.