Thread: Computer help

Computer help

Hi all I'm having problems again.... does anyone know if the computer on button is momentary on ? same with the reset button
    my reset button failed earlier and the on button won't cut the computer on now so I'm thinking I need to replace them both ( I pulled the reset button wire off the MB connector and fixed that old problem ) any thoughts ??
    Also sorry for no points this summer, that computer is in a upstairs non air conditioned room and its just too hot to run it now
    Last edited by BlackAdder; 08-14-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

Do you have the mobo manual and did you connect the right wires at the right places? I bet you do/did.
    Sometimes a computer freeze will leave your system completely unresponsive and only a cable unplug will stop the system.
    All should be running alright at reboot.

It won't start this time, I haven't tried to fix it yet due to the heat, I'm just looking for ideas, the reset button stuck on earlier this year causing it not to boot , I removed it from the motherboard and it worked fine. I'm thinking the other switch finally went bad too so I'm trying to fine out if the switch is a momentary on switch or something else so I can go buy one

Try another motherboard with the same case and/or another PSU with the same board.
    Chances are that the power delivery on the board itself has gone south.
    If you have spare old cases, you might want to try another power button for your present case as well (or switch casing).
    BTW: both power buttons and reset buttons on modern case are of the 'momentary on' type,
    A type of switch usually in the form of a push button that is only engaged while it is being depressed. You push 'em in and
    they come back to the same position, having stopped, started or reset the system, depending on which button you pushed.

As to heat: I have eight x86 PC's running (but most with big air coolers and open sides) in a non air conditioned room, plus several ARM boards (with heat sinks).
    It is never quiet in my computer room, nor cold...

A perhaps unbeatable mix of price (under 30 Euro's) and performance:

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

And if heat is your main problem, you should have a big, well-ventilated case with lots of room for either 140 mm fans or water cooling (preferably both).
    e.g. a Phanteks Enthoo Primo (14-16 fan ports with 5-6 fans standard fitted, depending on the model/color combination)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-16-2016 at 08:55 PM.