Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Details Zen revealed

Details Zen revealed

AMD invited select members of the press and analysts to come and discuss the next layer of Zen details.
    This is AnandTechs Ian Cutress analyses,
    and this is Paul Alcorn's of Tom's Hardware.

The i7-6900K in the comparison tests that was downclocked from 3.2 GHz to 3 GHz (to even the clocks of both CPUs) is no slouch either:
    it is the most expensive consumer Socket 2011-3 Consumer i7, with 8 cores and 16 threads and sets you back some $1100.00 upon purchase. It also has a 140 Watt TDP.

I hope that Zen will reach the 3.2 (3.7 turbo) GHz too upon launch, has at least all the instruction sets that the i7 has, will have a lower TDP, be able to support more RAM
    and that consumers (like we, crunchers) will get the chance to get their hands on the 32-core/64 thread model too.

Two 32-core/64 thread Zen CPUs, smothered in RAM as we would like to see them.
    We only miss the active cooling part here, should be at least two 15 cm Noctua's in tandem, push/pulling the air over the CPUs...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-19-2016 at 11:25 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I've been watching the developments and leaks regarding Zen, and the engineering sample that made its rounds on the internet.

I sure hope its a powerhouse when it comes out, and that it goes head to head or even beats the blue team! I've been saving money specifically to upgrade my systems later this year or early 2017. I need a new storage server and VMWare server!

One thing is for sure: AMD's re-entry into the High Performance Computing platform has spurred Intel into unprecedented activity.
    We now have
    i5's on the HPC socket (the Core i5-7640X with 4 cores/threads and a 112 Watt TDP),
    i7's with 8 cores on the HPC socket (the Core i7-7820X with a 140 Watt TDP),
    i9's, a new class of Intel CPU's (a Xeon by a different name if you like), with up to 18 cores.

These i5's can be beaten by any Ryzen quad, these i7s have a severe TDP problem as Ryzen 1700 has the same number of cores/threads and a 65 Watt TDP.
    And all AMD needs to do against the 18-core i9 is to make variants of Naples that fit in the same socket as Threadripper -and fit they will, but the limitation is quad-channel RAM against octo-channel that Naples has been designed for.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-31-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Site Admin
    The AMD Ryzen Threadripper is huge! I mean, really, in physical size!
    See here for the size: http://www.pcworld.com/article/31990...-surprise.html

But those 64 PCIe lanes are going to make a lot of people with multi-GPU configurations drool!
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#2e43a5577068

The Ryzen 1700 is still king of performance, TDP-wise:

Still, when setting two Ryzen 7 1700s against one Ryzen Threadripper R9 1998X, the latter has the advantage of needing just one PSU, one SSD and one video card.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-03-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Site Admin
    I can't wait until they reveal the AMD Naples series... especially the 32-core beast!

I'm going to throw a number and let's see how close I'll be. I say the TDP of the 32-core Naples behemoth will be 265W. Who wants to throw a semi-random guess with me?

Can't wait to see them in action, and how beefy of a power supply one will need to power a 2-socket 2x32-core Naples rig with a Vega GPU on top!
    This might have been the reason why over the past several years I've always purchased Power Supplies of 800W or higher output.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I'm going to throw a number and let's see how close I'll be. I say the TDP of the 32-core Naples behemoth will be 265W. Who wants to throw a semi-random guess with me?
    The rumor-mill talks about a 35 (slowest) to 180 (fastest) watt TDP for Naples...

Site Admin
    Ah... so they are going to have to severely cut down on the frequency then. I was hoping for an incredibly high TDP like the FX-9590

180 Watt seems to be the upper limit with the present knowledge, the lower limit is 120 Watt though (for the 8-core/16-thread dual socket EPYC's).
    But there's a dual socket capable, 32-core/64 thread EPYC with a TDP of 155 Watt too...155 Watt seemingly also the lower limit for the first generation of single-socket EPYC CPUs.

But be prepared to pay $4,000 for a 32-core...the dual socket capable 8-cores are just $400 though.

Mind you: the octo-channel RAM design dictates that you buy your (ECC) RAM in sets of eight sticks at a time.....for those of us with deeeep pockets.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-17-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Site Admin
    I just read that today too, did you see it from this site? - http://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-7000-se...formance-leak/

I guess 180W must be the highest safe value for air cooling, the good old FX-9590 had a 220W TDP but it required liquid cooling. It wouldn't be a good server product since standard server cases are not planned for liquid cooling and it would be highly disruptive and/or costly to implement.

But I would still love it if they could overclock it and liquid cool it, and see how high of a frequency could it run those 32 cores run at

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast