Thread: September 2016 competitions

September 2016 competitions

August gone, September begins! Crunchers sans Frontières are back from vacation, offering their three usual monthly challenges.
    If Gridcoin offers their full package too, we'll be busy for the next four weeks.
    BTW: When you want a challenge as project, be sure the name of your project has 'grid' in it!

September 02 to September 07 - Summer Paralympics Challenge
    PrimeGrid organizes a Extended Sierpinski Problem (LLR) (aka ESP-LLR) challenge. To participate in the Challenge, please select the Extended Sierpinski Problem (LLR) (aka ESP-LLR) project in your PrimeGrid preferences section.
    The challenge will begin 2 September 2016 18:00 UTC and end 7 September 2016 18:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux, Windows and MacIntel 32 bit and 64 bit.
    Intel CPU's with AVX capabilities will be significantly faster than the ones without (including all AMD CPUs they claim, while this clearly contradicts known AMD CPU capabilities), as this instruction set (AVX) allows for more computing power. Looks to me like they can not/will not optimize for AVX as AMD has implemented it, as other project can.

ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your computer. WU's may take around 6 hours on the fastest/newest computers and more than a day on slower/older computers. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to LLR.

Highly overclocked Haswell or Skylake (i.e., Intel Core i7, i5, and i3 -4xxx or better) computers running the application will see fastest times. Note that ESP is now running the latest, brand new FMA3 version of LLR which takes full advantage of the new Haswell features. It's faster than the previous LLR app and draws more power and produces more heat. If you have a Haswell or Skylake CPU, especially if it's overclocked or has overclocked memory, and haven't run the new FMA3 LLR before, we strongly suggest running it before the challenge while you are monitoring the temperatures. Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

Scores will be kept for individuals and teams. Only work units issued AFTER 2 September 2016 18:00 UTC and received BEFORE 7 Septemberl 2016 18:00 UTC will be considered for credit. We will use the same scoring method as for BOINC credit. Therefore, each completed WU will earn a unique score based on its n value. The higher the n, the higher the score. A quorum of 2 is NOT needed to award Challenge score - i.e. no double checker. Therefore, each returned result will earn a Challenge score. Please note that if the result is eventually declared invalid, the score will be removed.

Team scores / Individual scores / Summer Paralympics Challenge forum page

September 08 to September 12 - CRUNCHATHLON PG [MONTHLY RUN - RACE V]
    This challenge issued by the French team CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES will take place every month at varying dates for four days. All teams are welcome Let us take forward the PrimeGrid project! Keep crunching primes and keep sieving factors! Visit their website: https://www.crunchersansfrontieres.org NB: All PrimeGrid sub projects count.

CRUNCHATHLON PG V chat and stats page

September 14 to September 21 - Compete against Gridcoin: WCG Monthly Race #002
    Gridcoin continues their monthly WCG challenge, second WCG now in their monthly series, if they can keep it up.
    The old wavy WCG logo
    Compete against Gridcoin: WCG Monthly Race #002 chat and stats page

]September 16 to September 20 - CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID [MONTHLY RUN - RACE XXIII]
    For the GPU heavies: Crunchers sans frontières have their monthly GPUGrid challenge. Used to be nVidia Double Precision CUDA only, but there's now an OpenCL CPU application too. And they have an AMD GPU application....for Windows only.

CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID XXIII chat and stats page

September 23 to September 27 - CRUNCHATHLON WCG [MONTHLY RUN - RACE XX]
    This monthly challenge, issued by the French team CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES, takes place every month at varying dates for four days. All teams are welcome
    Let's take forward the World Community Grid project! Keep crunching!, as they say at http://www.crunchersansfrontieres.org (a little knowledge of French can be useful, comprenez-vous?).
    New hexagon logo
    CRUNCHATHLON WCG [MONTHLY RUN - RACE XX] chat and stats page
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-01-2016 at 01:23 AM.

I have three ESP-LLRs awaiting validation and six more are under way, of which two will arrive before the end of the first challenge. The others will have to count for the second challenge.