Thread: I am moving in early 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am moving in early 2017

I am attempting to reach 200,000,000 on my total Points values at this time and for this reason. Between January 20th 2017 and February 10th 2017 I may be offline except for my cell phone. I am not moving far away, just 4 miles down the road. I am looking into Internet access ASAP but there are too many options which are plaguing my attention scope. I want internet and I need television, My Cell Phone is with AT&T and they don't offer service in the area I am moving too. But, there is a CO of Verizon just 1 block away!!! [Woo Hoo] I am not a fan of Comcast but there is a wireless node in the area as there is a signal I could possibly hack into. I would prefer to be a good paying citizen and pay for my services for Pete's sake though.

There are plenty of these add on programs - Like KlowdTV, Netlfix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, etc etc etc... Now which ones give me the local channels for news about my local area. I like TBS, TNT, Discovery, History and Cooking Channels. News; I prefer to go the extreme area's where I can get just what I am after and not the crap I have to take. I like movie's, I like to watch them with out commercials, lately the commercials has gotten too many commercials which I am pissed about.

I need access to the internet, and I want serious bandwidth, of course my system will be an upgrade due march 2017. I am looking at (2) Titan X Hybrids, plus [1] W-5100 Radeon AMD GPU. Should be faithful at reaching high scores pretty quick. Finding the right person to build this mega-cruncher is where the serious search is on.

Any questions leave me an email or message through this website. I am excited to move now that I have this opportunity.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I am looking at (2) Titan X Hybrids, plus [1] W-5100 Radeon AMD GPU
    Serious plans indeed!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Best of luck on the move, and that it may be swift and easy.

Dirk is right, those are some serious plans indeed! Since you are looking for March 2017 for the upgrade you may want to hold and compare the W-5100 against the upcoming AMD Vega GPUs that should also come out sometime early 2017. Don't press the trigger too soon, there may be a better deal in the pipeline.

I'd love to build a mega-cruncher like that but my current budget has other priorities... too many house repairs already in the pipeline for 2017 (finishing a bathroom remodeling, new siding for the house, electrical upgrades... and probably more that I don't know yet)
    But I do indeed have some $$$ allocated for a system upgrade too, I'm looking at those Zen processors when they come out.

I also found this interesting GPU as a potential if the New AMD GPU Vega's don't come out fast enough, Yes money is no object at this time: (1) FirePro S7150 X2 !!
    Thanks NeoGen and Dirk

Looking at leasing options to garner a fleet of powerful GPU's without costing an arm and a leg. Yes the TomsHardware site and Overclock all talk about some Caged Gaming site, but these are serious not cost justification stances. So I looked harder and found CDW; Here is a link to a horde of optional GPU's we can all use with little cost compared to the value of a K80 Tesla 80 GPU for just ~$150.oo per month https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lease+gpu+...&t=ffsb&ia=web

I will have more links in the near future, board to death since it is a holiday. Congrats Vaughan and AMDave on reaching the new year before me!

Sounds interesting, leasing a Tesla workstation with the team for the duration of -let's say- a GPUGrid challenge, some PrimeGrid challenges and a MilkyWay challenge and being able to host the complete active membership for those projects for $150 that month.

Okay gents, Captain UN-obvious here................. For instance the W5100 workstation, could that be used for milkyway@home for instance and what kind of performance could you get versus a desktop graphics card? What about the heat issue, the w5100 looks thin, unlike the desktop graphics cards. I guess the same questions would go for the Tesla and quadro cards versus the HD nvidia stuff. would performance output be worth the cost increase of the workstation graphics cards????

Radeon FirePro W5100 Compute Performance:
    • 768 stream processors (12 compute units)
    • 1.43 TFLOPS peak single precision floating point performance
    • 89.2 GFLOPS peak double precision floating point performance

Making it about as powerful as a HD 7770, both single- and double precision-wise. In both workstations and servers there's always a pretty breeze so cooling of this single-slot (<75 Watt TDP!) card is of less importance.

If you want a hard-hitting FirePro card with double precision performance higher than desktop cards, choose a W8100 or a W9100. But bring buckets of cash at the purchase (and have your own square mile of solar cells to keep them powered up). Same holds for Tesla and Quadro: the hard-hitters require buckets of cash and cost an arm and a leg to maintain 24/7, perhaps two of both.

TANSTAAFL! (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch) - but that's why leasing such a bad-ass card system for a mere month at $150 seems like a good idea.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-06-2017 at 11:39 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I looked at the CDW website and it says leasing is for businesses only, not individuals... guess that leaves me out