Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AMD has RYZEN!!

I can only hope that the presently offered BIOs-es at ASUS.com all support both APUs and Ryzen.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I was just reading an article where they say that DDR4 training can take anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds on the Ryzen motherboards... I wonder if that's time where the power is on but nothing happens on screen? Could that be what you are experiencing vaughan?
    But even if your memory works properly, the initial DDR4 training cycle can take a very long time, especially after a cold boot (or a failed overclock). On all the boards we've tested, we've seen the memory training and POST process take anywhere from 30-60 seconds, sometimes with a couple of clear restarts in between.

Imagine that for a moment: your PC can boot to the Windows desktop in less than ten seconds, but just getting to the boot process in the first place might take over a minute. And for an enthusiast looking to finetune performance, almost every time you restart the PC you can expect an extra 10-15 second delay—that's in addition to the more typical 15-20 second POST times. On most motherboards, a cold boot takes at least 40 seconds to complete the DDR4 training and POST, sometimes 75 seconds.

Site Admin
    And wow... updating your BIOS is really important in these first few months. AMD released a microcode update that among other things fixes a system hang issue and reduces memory latency!

Look out for Ryzen motherboard BIOS updates coming soon!

Site Admin
    And not only that but simple updates to existing software seem to bring out great performance boosts from the Ryzen architecture... This game was updated specifically for Ryzen and just saw a really good boost of performance.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryze...ularity_193137

Those results are impressive seeing that the test bench is equal for both before and after (same CPU, RAM, GPU, OS, etc) with only the game update being the variable.

One thing I can see is that the FPS at all three resolutions does not change that much, usually it's significantly higher at 1080p and much lower at 4k, but if the numbers don't vary much across resolutions then the CPU must be the bottleneck in this game. And look at what a simple update to a new CPU architecture can make!

I'm not sure Dirk. We tried taking the motherboard out of the case so there was no risk of any metal to metal contact causing a short circuit. It still is dead.
    This week I'll buy another motherboard; most likely from Gigabyte as the first one that failed was an ASUS. Looking at a higher quality one ie with BIOS / boot progress numerals or LEDs. Dirk we tried lots of DDR4 ram sticks, nothing worked. We replaced power supply, GPU and HDD with hardware we knew worked in Intel based computers. Thus the only variables not swapped are CPU and mobo.

Neogen I wonder if the manufacturers update the BIOS to the latest releases as the AM4 boards seem to sell out quickly, so lots of turnover in the shops. I guess they do.

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Crunching-wise a no-brainer, I'd say

We purchased another motherboard, this one from Gigabyte. AX370-GAMING K7 Ryzen AM4 ATX MB. Will see how it goes as the build is planned over Easter.

That's quite a jump in price/feature level. Gigabyte does not cater better at the moment for the AM4 platform than the (RGB LED decorated) AX370-GAMING K7.
    I hope for you there's a 'lights off' mode too, to be honest.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-13-2017 at 06:56 PM.

I put sun glasses on to view the last post by Dirk, way to brightly colored for my tastes!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast