Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 8. BOINC Pentathlon

So we have:

World Community Grid - Open Zika
    LHC@Home
    DENIS@Home
    Moo! Wrapper - as our GPU project

We need a third CPU only project.

"Each team may suggest three projects and one World Community Grid subproject while signing up."
    Last edited by vaughan; 04-27-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add quoted text

SRBase? The project with those fancy badges?
    POGS? Even more fancier badges...in fact so fancy that they're not even in my FreeDC signature. They are, however, in this one:
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-28-2017 at 02:11 AM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I second Dirk on SRBase

Given the Overall project numbers, they need a bump up the ladder more than POGS or others.
    SRbase has been pretty stable and the RTS queue is quite large so that's on their favour even more than Rosetta which would sometimes slow to a trickle under contest load.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

yoyo would get my vote

Aside from filling up my closet with 20 new servers before the start of this I assume we are hoping to improve marginally over our rank last year so I am not too worried about my novices holding up our reach for gold. But when switching around projects any pointers on how to do that efficiently? I use BOINC Manager to control my server remotely and also handle the 'powerhouse computing' power on my laptop. I have played with the resource share feature, but it seems to take too long to balance everything out.

If I simply suspend the projects I do not want to focus on will it keep requesting tasks for the projects I left unsuspended even if they all have equal resource share. In other words will it see the equal share and refuse to get new tasks for a project because it so far ahead even though everything else is suspended? Do I need to go the extra step and delete the projects that I do not want it to work on and only have the ones I want running loaded on that machine? I have also tried the BOINCBam account manager but did not like the interface at all so I really do not want to go that route.

Hopefully the competition will be a nice practice run for multiple server management when I finally collect enough coupons and rebates to fill up my side of the closet and make it look like Mutiny on Halt and Catch Fire.

i usually set the pentathlon projects at 10.000% and all other project to 'no new work' and, when I have enough WU's for an active project, I also set that to 'no new work'.
    I sometimes suspend even work on non-active pentathlon projects. It is usually a complete mess afterwards. If there are any aborts on my systems they are server aborts, I crunch all that has been sent to me.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-29-2017 at 10:18 PM.

I managed to get an email through to the Seti-Germany organiser, pschoefer, even though the BOINC Pentathlon web-site said it wasn't taking any project selections any more for this year.

The projects proposed were:
    OpenZika, LHC@home, DENIS@Home, and Moo! Wrapper plus POGS.

However, the reply email arrived and said POGS ran last year so it wasn't accepted. The others we chose are in the voting mix.

I like to use BOINCtasks to manage the computers. It does work well for me and displays everything at one PC. I think many of the work units get aborted when the race is completed. I will usually let most running work units finish and abort anything that hasn't started yet.

Thanks for the pointers. I have been playing with BOINC Manager the past couple of nights and can see that it does not hesitate if you wanted to prioritize a particular project by suspending others. I can also see how it becomes a big mess quickly because I have a mass of WUs from my experimenting that will probably last until the competition starts up.

Glad someone pointed out Moo! Wrapper. It appears that is the only one that has projects for my GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 610) which I only got because it was the cheapest video card and I only needed it to get the server up and running. I need to win the lottery because I want to upgrade my GPU, increase memory, and start a new build all at once. I did find a quarter on the ground last night walking the dog so I am well on my way!

I will stick with using BOINC Manager for directing the competition activities this go around, but will give BOINCtasks a look for when I get my next build completed because I like the ability to control multiple computers in one spot.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast