Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 8. BOINC Pentathlon

A nVidia GeForce GT 610 has a Single Precision performance of 155.5 GFLOP and, on the sunny side, a TDP of only 29 Watt.
    The somewhat more modern and equally cheap GeForce GT 710 has more than double the SP GFLOPS (and even has Double precision capability) and a TDP of only 19 Watt.
    If you want to spend some money (less than $100) on a nVidia card and get good performance at little AC/DC power use, you have to go for a particular model of the GT 730 (with a GK208-301-A1 GPU): 692.7 GFLOP SP/28.9 GFLOP DP at a TDP of a mere 23 Watt ($69–$79). Take care: there are three sorts of GT 730 cards, one with a GF108 GPU that performs a lot worse than the other two.

BTW: the INTEL HD Graphics 5000 of your i5-4260U can also be used for crunching. I run Einstein on the IGP of my i7-3770.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-30-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Dear fellow crunchers,

thank you for joining the eighth BOINC Pentathlon. The first two projects have just been announced:

Marathon: Cosmology@Home, 05 May - 19 May (https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/co...hon-discipline)
    City Run: WCG - OpenZika, 05 May - 10 May (https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/co...pline-City-Run)

Please note that there is a new RSS feed available at https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/ex...528&lastpost=1 which contains only the Pentathlon news, i.e. project announcements, victory ceremonies and Jeeper's daily bulletin. The old feed is still working, but may contain German translations of several project news every now and then, and there were some complaints about that last year.

Good luck to all of you!

pschoefer
    SETI.Germany

Great information thank you. I am browsing but not yet getting read to pull the trigger yet. I like the price point below $100 for sure. So I am shop around for the GT730 model that you mentioned to see if I can get it on sale. Good to know about the particular GPU that under performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeder View Post
    So I am shop around for the GT730 model that you mentioned to see if I can get it on sale.
    You might want to look out for the GT 1030, better performance for a very modest power use -or use a Radeon RX 550.

So it starts tonight. Any tactics Team? are we going for all disciplines or just concentrating on the marathon?

Quote Originally Posted by euphoriabuzz View Post
    So it starts tonight. Any tactics Team? are we going for all disciplines or just concentrating on the marathon?
    Me personally, I am already running in the marathon, so I have a head start against the avalanche of crunchers behind me.
    The other diciplines I'll do as well (easy for me being the team's best Clanker and subClanker)

Anyone know where to assign a team in Einstein@Home? The rest of the projects are really easy to figure out, but Einstein seems to be a little less user friendly and intuitive. I have a profile set up, but cannot find the team information. I noticed it was the cross country project so I was making sure it was set up to take over when the time comes.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. However, I did discover I wasn't team founder on this one so I've initiated the request. Gamer007 hasn't participated for a while.

You can join AMD Users on this page https://einsteinathome.org/nl/community/teams/172298 (NB: on the page of your former team -if you have one- you have to leave there first)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Go to 'Community' tab then 'Team' sub tab to join and view Teams

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast