Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 8. BOINC Pentathlon

Unfortunately our team rank has slipped from 23rd to 24th. In an attempt to improve our position I have switched several boxes to either Cosmology or World Community Grid - Open Zika.

I am late to the party as is the norm, but I am in the process of bringing cores online. Not too sure about Cosmology as I am not to fond of projects that run in VMs, maybe some of the drones will get it, but computers in use can't spare the resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCabbage View Post
    I am late to the party as is the norm, but I am in the process of bringing cores online. Not too sure about Cosmology as I am not to fond of projects that run in VMs, maybe some of the drones will get it, but computers in use can't spare the resources.
    Considering the length of this challenge nothing is lost yet, Cosmology will finish on the 19th and there will always be at least one other project running alongside -now WCG's OpenZika, next Einstein@Home.

Hey gang, we've improved heaps, now we're running at 21st position.

Was looking into Einstein and it's a good thing I did, I didn't dive too deeply into it, as it's much too late tonight already. It would seem one computer is not reporting the dual 5830s at all, and another with a 6950 acknowledges the card, but Einstein reports no OpenCL support when trying to send work. The systems are both running Ubuntu 14.04 with the proprietary AMD drivers installed. What should I be looking for when I return tomorrow?

The 5830s just reports "no usable GPUs found" in BOINC

The 6950 reports as you would expect "CAL: ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman)..." in BOINC
    However in Einstein logs, "...[version] ATI device (or driver) doesn't support OpenCL"

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCabbage View Post
    The 6950 reports as you would expect "CAL: ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman)..." in BOINC
    However in Einstein logs, "...[version] ATI device (or driver) doesn't support OpenCL"
    Note: CAL is not OpenCL!

What does clinfo report on both machines?

Have you done

cd /usr/lib
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1 libOpenCL.so

this link may not work for some, and a copy may need to be made.

sudo gedit /etc/defaults/boinc-client
    and add
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib64:/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Have you done

xhost local:boinc
    sudo aticonfig --initial=check

if not, try it

If all is well it will give something like this in the BOINC log:
    Sat 18 Oct 2014 03:52:48 PM EDT | | CAL: ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1848, 2048MB, 1832MB available, 5773 GFLOPS peak)
    Sat 18 Oct 2014 03:52:48 PM EDT | | OpenCL: AMD/ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (driver version 1573.4 (VM), device version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1573.4), 2048MB, 1832MB available, 5773 GFLOPS peak)

P.S.: It looks like the dual 5830 is running the opensource driver...remember to install multiple GPUs in one system with
    sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.

I seem to have broken it further, the 5830 box has fglrx-core crashes logged, I purged and reinstalled to no effect. I made the symbolic link and ran the initial config on both boxes, the 6950 lost GPU recognition in BOINC all together. I have not tried to crunch anything on video since switching over to Linux, are there dependencies I am missing? As far as video/OpenCL I only installed the AMD drivers and whatever updates Ubuntu had upon initial system install. I just migrated on a full-scale permanent basis about a month ago, I'm starting to think I should have waited until after this years pentathlon to go "pro". My cold storage and FTP servers have been running Linux for years, but they don't have video. I've tried to switch the main desktop several times over the past several years but kept running into video issues, so obviously I am missing something. This time I am determined to make the switch for good, so no matter the frustration I am not going back. Worst comes to worst though, I have a few HDDs standing by I can toss a minimal windows install on to see me though this pentathlon.

The output for clinfo on both is...
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'
    what(): clGetPlatformIDs
    Aborted (core dumped)

BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

note that you have to restart the boinc client to be able to crunch with your GPU, for some reason the client gets started before the x-server.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-07-2017 at 07:01 PM.

We seem to be making up some ground on the City Run and should be able to catch the next two spots before that event ends. I tried to get a head start on the Einstein project, but this ended up being me waiting for any of them to finish:
    This+is+me+waiting+for+lok+season+2+anyone+have_6b17d8_4624272.jpg

I have never done any Einstein work before, but they seem to be taking much longer than advertised to finish and take up some memory. I have not started trying to bank the LHC work units yet. I think that will be my next move after city run closes depending on if it looks like we need some work on the marathon project or not.

I ran into a new issue, the 5830s are a 1GB card, in BOINC they are reporting 512MB thus Einstein is refusing them. Is this an error or is it simply reporting what is available to be used for OpenCL? If it's an error, how can I fix it? if it's not, is there any way I can force it to run via config files?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast