Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gcw-llr

Gcw-llr

A quick memo that Primegrid now has a new LLR sub-project open. It is GCW-LLR (Generalised Cullen Woodall - Lucas Lehmer Riesel).

I managed to grab some of the very early tasks which only took 5 minutes each by happening to be on-line when they started to release tasks. BOINC Manager alerted me to the news item. The tasks take between 30 minutes for a fast Xeon (E3-1230 v5) up to 2 hours each for a slow Xeon (E5-2620 "engineering sample" yeah sure I think the engineer is having a slow day). My AWS instance takes about 1.5 hours each task (E5-2666v3) but at least it has 36 cores running.
    Last edited by vaughan; 04-30-2017 at 02:56 AM. Reason: typo

1 hour and 47 minutes on an i7-3770

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    1 hour and 47 minutes on an i7-3770
    And steadily taking longer!

I switched to running all the LLR projects in multi-threaded mode.

Tuna Ertemalp posted a really useful XML app_config file on the Primegrid forum.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_threa...ap=true#107600

It is missing a couple of projects but they are easy enough to add. Ensure you use Notepad or Notepad++ to edit the .XML file.

Just started experimenting with the multi-threaded llr stuff. Ended up with several aborted tasks in the process. Have things pretty well sorted out now. As always though there's some choices that have to be made... running both the GPU's and CPU's sure sucks up power and produces heat. So gotta scale back on the cpu's. I had a cooling system outtage this past weekend, and just running on a crippled cooling system waiting on parts. Always seems like there's something to bite you in the butt. lol.

Yes Brucifer that is very true. Yesterday I had one of three routers go AWOL for no reason. It has behaved OK since being power cycled. Of course it was the one feeding my Wi-Fi access point so my laptops ran out of BOINC tasks until the outage was fixed. I usually run small caches as Primegrid doesn't recognise you as the Prime finder if you only confirm someone else's Prime.

Yup and therein lies the need to run multi-threaded so you can get those tasks back hopefully before the wingman. always get the boinc project points for crunching the task but as you point out, no record book entry credit for finding a prime for the double checker. As that saying goes, 2nd place is first loser! lol. But even MT, those SOB units take time. I just want to get SOB up to gold so the badges string looks a bit better. Also working on llrgcw to do the same. Hopefully your router will run okay after the reboot.

Yep all working fine again now.

I finally succumbed to the Intel Coffee Lake lure and put together an I7-8700K. Primegrid shows it as:
    GenuineIntel
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz [Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10]
    (6 processors)
    Microsoft Windows 10
    Enterprise x64 Edition, (10.00.16299.00)
    it has 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 3000 RAM in dual channel, a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GA-Z370m-D3H motherboard and a Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU water cooler.
    In Primegrid LLR'ing on GCW tasks in multi-threaded mode with hyperthreading on (thus 12 threads) it takes 2 hours 18 minutes per task. Temperature of CPU is around 74C.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I finally succumbed to the Intel Coffee Lake lure and put together an I7-8700K.
    And how does it compare with your Ryzen 7?

Poor old Ryzen 7 is sick. It is unable to proceed at the POST screen. My son says we need to nuke it and re-install Arch Linux. That is a job for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast