Thread: Sourcefinder / duchamp

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Sourcefinder / duchamp

Hey guys

I've been trying to run the Sourcefinder project and me and vaughan are pushing it neck and neck for the top spot but I'm just slightly behind.
    What I don't understand is how to get this running on a machine, half the times it looks like it's running but you look in the task manager and there's no CPU activity, when that happens the workunits will never end, continuously running for days until they are are aborted.
    After a whole bunch of tries in different machines I could only get it working on two machines, and it was not consistent, seemed like they differed in the details. Do you have similar issues on other projects running under VirtualBox too?
    Let me list the stuff I tried
    - Updating BOINC to v7.7.2 (Pre-Release version)
    - Updating VirtualBox to v5.1.22
    - Making sure that BIOS options for virtualization are enabled
    - Turning on and off the specific AMD Secure Virtual Machine option in the BIOS of the Motherboard
    - - - With it OFF windows task manager does not recognize virtualization capability, but Speccy (third party app) does recognize and says it's enabled). With it ON it reverses it on both applications, Task Manager reports Virtualization capability enabled, but Speccy says capable but disabled
    - Going inside VirtualBox and deleting all the VMs while BOINC is not running so all WUs are errored out and a new batch starts.
    - Resetting the projects to re-download all the project files again
    - Making sure Hyper-V is not an enabled feature in Windows 10 (it may take up the virtualization resources?)

After much fighting in multiple machines I'm still not sure of the magic combination of settings to make this work, as one of the machines worked with AMD SVM turned OFF and another one worked with it turned on. And I have a third one I can't get it to work, not sure why yet, but I suspect it may be because VMWare is installed on it, so it might be hogging the Virtualization resources.

Anyone knows the magic combination to make it work?

My setups:
    Win 7
    BOINC 7.6.33
    Virtual Box 5.1.22
    if it misbehaves do the project re-set you tried

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    My setups:
    Win 7
    BOINC 7.6.33
    Virtual Box 5.1.22
    if it misbehaves do the project re-set you tried
    My setup on an Athlon 5350 with 16GB RAM:
    Ubuntu 16.04LTS
    BOINC 7.6.31
    Virtual Box 5.1.22

It takes about an hour to reach 99.999%, 1:40:00 to reach 100.00%, and they keep running afterwards.

I have 3 of the Sophia tasks running at 100% for over 5 hours now.

My longest running Sofia/Duchamp/Sourcefinder just clocked 6:10:00
    Make that 09:20:00....and it errored out after 11:27:00. Pity Ubuntu doesn't let you mess around with the VMs in the Virtual Box console, it's empty.

I have them (Sofia's) now at a Windows10 box too, and the Duchamps VMs have no network adapter(s) as compared to other VMs (RNA, Cosmology, etc.)
    After they stopped working (10 min. 13 sec, just like with Cosmology) I edited their setup in Virtual Box -Virtual Box under Windows gives you the ability to do so- to have NAT and Host-only adapter (amongst others).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-04-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Not worth the effort till they fix it

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I aborted all mine when they exceeded 5 hours at 100 percent. I detached those boxes. Stupid project. Plenty of other well behaved projects to waste electricity on.

I aborted all WUs on my Linux boxen, as I can't edit the VMs parameters there (or better: I haven't yet made any effort how to do that. Will be a matter of user rights undoubtly)
    I still have hopes for the WUs on my Windows boxes though...