Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid Birthday Challenge June 12th (1 day).

PrimeGrid Birthday Challenge June 12th (1 day).

PrimeGrid's Birthday Challenge runs from midnight tonight (00:00h June 12th) for 24 hours, on the SGS Sophie Germain Search sub-project : http://www.primegrid.com/forum_threa...ap=true#108369

I'll be throwing all my CPU power at it (no GPU tasks available for this challenge, it's CPU only), feel free to join in!

I'm automatically in, as SGS hasn't reached gold with me yet...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm in too with my AMD X6 1100T, all 6 cores are on it!

My only drawback is that in such a quick challenge most of our WUs are not even going to count because they will be waiting for validation for longer that 24 hours, but we will do what we can.

It would be nice if BOINC had an option to allow WUs to be sent specifically to members of the same team instead of randomly, that way we would validate each others WUs real quick.

Team stats and individual stats

Looks my WUs are too old to count for the challenge. I did score 279 credits today, only 40 of them counted...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-13-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    ...My only drawback is that in such a quick challenge most of our WUs are not even going to count because they will be waiting for validation for longer that 24 hours...
    For these PrimeGrid challenges (as I understand it), all WUs which are sent out after the start time and reported before the end time will count for the challenge, regardless of whether or not they've been cross-validated by the WU's second user. You won't get the credits on your own account until the WUs are cross-checked and validated as ok, but the challenge allows for this and puts the credits on up-front in its stats tables, then only removes them if the WU is later found to be invalid, which is why the positions can move around a bit for some time after the end point. I think this is how it's working anyway.

Three and a bit hours to go, I can see four of us on the leaderboard at the moment - Vaughan at position 137 (22,750 credits), you (Neogen) at 253 (6,346 credits), me at 262 (5,587 credits) and Brucifer at 344 (997 credits), top 300 get points towards the annual totals at the end. Team AMD users currently at position 28 in the team table for this challenge (top 100 get points at the end). Looking good! Better than the last one anyway.

Site Admin
    Yup, we are looking better! Now we just need to get an SGS prime between us!

A prime for us would have been nice, it looks like a handful may have been found but I didn't spot any of our team members' names on the challenge thread. Not yet anyway, maybe they're still writing it up?
    Team AMD Users sneaked up a couple of places towards the end and finished 26th overall, beating the US Army amongst others, which I thought was pretty good.
    Individually, Vaughan made some massive leaps up the table and finished 96th with 43,226 points, then a bit of a gap but both Neogen at 257th with 7,823 and me at 261st with 7,503 both still in the top 300, so gaining some points towards the annual totals too. Just outside was Brucifer at 319th with 2,514 points, and sneaking in at the end was Dirk Broer - looks like you managed to get just one new task through which counted for the challenge! That is the slight problem with these challenges, if you already have tasks downloaded before it starts, they don't count for the challenge, it's only the ones downloaded and reported between the start and end. I know I would have had a few more as i was watching them at the end and trying to boost the cpu by stopping other things from running, but some finished just minutes after the challenge ended. Ah well, not to worry, it's all good fun and I'm very happy to have got into the top 300 for this one after a couple of jkust outsides in the previous challenges.
    Well done all

I Skyped my son to get him to pop a few machines on this challenge for me. I started outside the top 300 but with 7 pcs managed to reach 96th at the end.

Now there is a huge wait until the next PrimeGrid challenge.

Next PrimeGrid Challenge:
    Name: CRUNCHATHLON PG [MONTHLY RUN - RACE XV]
    Issued by: CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES
    Start time: 2017-07-05 17:00 UTC
    End time: 2017-07-09 17:00 UTC

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmannGaz View Post
    That is the slight problem with these challenges, if you already have tasks downloaded before it starts, they don't count for the challenge, it's only the ones downloaded and reported between the start and end.
    So they don't allow for workunit hogging and dumping anymore on the challenges?
    Those were some fun times, I used to harvest some 7 days worth of work, tell boinc to not access the internet anymore and just re-enable it right after challenges started.
    I almost did that this time, but ended up aborting the WUs I had on waiting queue and switched to zero days of work to see if I could get fresh workunits and hopefully a prime number.

Is it just Primegrid that fixed their challenges to not accept work outside the time window or is it all challenges?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast