Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: External GPU's

I had stumbled upon a site that was selling a 4U Server chassis with 8 GPUs crammed into it, but cannot find it anymore. Price was about US 3k for a completed box including the Rx 470s they were putting in it. I figured it could be built for cheaper. Especially after cryptos are done. Full disclosure I have been mining a little bit of Ether to help fund my next build.

I think an 8 GPU unit will definitely show upon the electrical bill, but on the plus size it will be a nice sound machine and space heater.

Pure economically seen GPUs are a disaster. I might want to try a Bristol Ridge 35 Watt TDP APU though, until Raven Ridge comes along.
    If it -35 Watt Bristol Ridge- works well, I might buy a bunch of 320/350 boards to replace my FM1 and FM2 systems.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    The evolution of the coin miners went more or less from CPU -> GPU -> FPGA -> ASIC.

In Distributed Computing we have already CPUs and GPUs, not sure about FPGAs though, although the blue team is launching some chips with FPGAs built-in lately.
    Now ASICs are very specific processors for single task only (and do it incredibly well and efficiently!) Since Distributed Computing has such a wide array of different subjects and computations its impossible to build 1 ASIC chip that could accelerate all projects, but I could very well see an ASIC chip dedicated to prime number finding and testing.
    Can you imagine how much PrimeGrid would skyrocket if someone developed an ASIC chip dedicated to prime number computation only?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Can you imagine how much PrimeGrid would skyrocket if someone developed an ASIC chip dedicated to prime number computation only?
    You'll need an ASIC per application of course, but there are multi-USB hubs that bitcoin miners previously used...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Lowest Price GPU Server comes with options too:

EPYC GPU Server with options:
    Last edited by Nflight; 12-29-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123