Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: External GPU's

I'm not really into buying into the cloud stuff. If I'm going to be spending money I'd rather add it to my farm as at least the hardware is mine to use as long as I want. Maybe I'm missing something but thats just the way I feel.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I'm not really into buying into the cloud stuff. If I'm going to be spending money I'd rather add it to my farm as at least the hardware is mine to use as long as I want. Maybe I'm missing something but thats just the way I feel.
    I feel you. I'm not biting into the cloud stuff either at current prices, but I'll be honest, if it was a reasonable price and it took away all the time I spend setting up, testing, monitoring, fixing, etc... I'd be on it. I'd still keep some physical one for myself to play with of course, but my majority would be on the cloud. But not at current prices.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I feel you. I'm not biting into the cloud stuff either at current prices, but I'll be honest, if it was a reasonable price and it took away all the time I spend setting up, testing, monitoring, fixing, etc... I'd be on it. I'd still keep some physical one for myself to play with of course, but my majority would be on the cloud. But not at current prices.
    Isn't Amazon offering a so-called free service (for 12 months) too?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    From what I read it's only for micro instances (1 slow CPU core?), I didn't see GPU instances for the free tier. I think vaughan has one of these, I can't find the thread now but I remember he gave us a link to one of his computers in a project that's an amazon instance. It was an interesting little instance but from the details it did not seem powerful at all.

I have forgotten what processor I had for the free AWS instance. Since then I have paid for (too) many cores. Last month the invoice was pretty high so I've stopped using AWS temporarily. The instance I was using was a Xeon E5-2666 v3 @ 2.9GHz with 36 cores available to me.

I found this in my hunt for the next big purchase, External Enclosures.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Thanks for thar link Nflight! :-)

You could get one of these for just under AUD1k

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...070-gaming-box

The External graphics Unit is not really what we are all looking for, is it? We are instead looking for a GPU Server Farm and just how many GPU's we can muster into a confined space for the least amount of Cash$$$.

First Link is: Images for GPU Server Farm 2017

Second Link is: GPU Server 2017 BOINC

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    The External graphics Unit is not really what we are all looking for, is it? We are instead looking for a GPU Server Farm and just how many GPU's we can muster into a confined space for the least amount of Cash$$$.

First Link is: Images for GPU Server Farm 2017

Second Link is: GPU Server 2017 BOINC
    We should befriend Bitcoin miners and other crypto currency cashers. Once their toys -a nine GPu miner here- are no longer economical, they dump them...Still there's the power bill to reckon with

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast