Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do people run boinc remotely?

GridRepublic....they promised to take over FiND, and what a mess came out of that.
    It is still around, but by the looks of it (the number of projects they present that are actually long since retired) barely so.

So I am chiming in a little late, but I normally just use VNC. For ease of access/security, I have my "server" open to the outside, then just chain connect to the internal network computers via a local instance of VNC ran though the remote instance :p Round about way to do it, but it only opens up one computer directly to the world and vastly reduces custom configuration of the router.

I've also opened up the BOINC client in the past and connected to it remotely in the BOINC manager via Advanced -> Select Computer. However that takes a lot of setup on a per computer basis, where VNC just requires a quick install when being used only on the internal network. Plus most my stuff is headless anyway, so a VNC server is already installed regardless of if it runs BOINC or not.

Most people use BOINC Tasks to use your computer remotely, I don't use it since I am usually near my system all the time. And when I plan to be away I shut the system down completely.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12