Thread: Amicable Numbers hijack

Amicable Numbers hijack

So today I had an Amicable Numbers WU that had passed its deadline unfinished. I tried to abort it, nothing happened, I tried resetting project, nothing happened, I stopped and restarted Boinc Manager, no difference. In the end I have had to totally remove amicable numbers project from BAM in order to remove the errant WU.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I wonder if that's a read/write issue on the file system. I've not experienced that with BOINC yet but on a couple of other applications I somehow ended up with a file that was impossible to delete in Windows because it was locked for use by the application (even though the application was closed) and I as machine administrator did not have read/write permissions to it. I tried all kinds of tricks too including disk check but nothing worked. After fully rebooting the machine (which I hate to do, I always run it for as long as I can) the file was now clear and I deleted it without a problem.
    I haven't experienced it but I could see that happening with BOINC, especially if it runs in service mode because it uses its own separate users (boinc_master and boinc_project) from your logged in user, and if a byte or two are flipped wrong due to a bug the file can get locked up.

But good to know you got it fixed Euphoriabuzz, hopefully no one else will have to go through that too, but if they do the answer is here.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoriabuzz View Post
    So today I had an Amicable Numbers WU that had passed its deadline unfinished. I tried to abort it, nothing happened, I tried resetting project, nothing happened, I stopped and restarted Boinc Manager, no difference. In the end I have had to totally remove amicable numbers project from BAM in order to remove the errant WU.
    Your problems may be of another kind, this is our team on Amicable numbers, and this is you.
    Perhaps your browser is hijacked?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-09-2017 at 08:39 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

AMD USers team AMicable numbersKnipsel1.JPGeuphoriabuzz's systemsKnipsel2.JPG
    clicking 'task' on the upper system at the last picture (but on the actual page itself) gives all present Amicable numbers jobs fore euphoriabuzz, including a still running one (according to them).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-10-2017 at 08:39 AM.