Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enigma@home News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Enigma@home News

New app: "Enigma Test", OpenCL and Linux tests
    I'm going to add a new application which will be used to test new app versions and platforms/plan classes.

It will run it's own mini batches of test work and once the tests are done and finished with success, the test app / app version / platform will be reassigned to standard workunits.

Test app will have it's own checkbox in project preferences and it will be reset to off for everyone on each app version change.

First app versions that will be tested soon are:
    - OpenCL/ATI version of GPU app.
    - Linux version of CUDA app.

I'm not sure when it will be released but my early estimate is somewhere around end of this week.

More...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'd like to try this new app, I hope they release it soon. Right now the apps page shows a CUDA entry but no apps under it.

Site Admin
    I just started getting GPU workunits for OpenCL.

They payoff about 902 credits for approximately 15 minutes of run time on my 7970, or 1804 credits if it's a larger one that takes close to half hour.

They are set to quorum=1, so instant validation, no need for a second machine to validate your work.

Site Admin
    These workunits are really boosting my credits!

I've entered the top 10 and broke 500K already, crunching 90K+ per day.
    Provided WUs keep flowing I want to reach at least Top 5 and 2M credits on it, and then see where I can go from there.

I'm unable to get any tasks

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    NeoGen must be hogging them all :P
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Site Admin
    I see you vaughan, you are getting a whole bunch of them spread through your multiple machines.

You are having a number of computation errors just like I am, I don't know if it's related but I traced down mine to something wrong in Windows 10(?) or BOINC(?) or the File System(?). But it's odd this is only for Enigma.
    This happens in Enigma@Home only, I noticed that each day I start accumulating errors on BOINC Manager, and looking in the Event Log it says that the WUs failed because they can't write to the slot file directory under C:\ProgramData\BOINC\slots.
    When I look into it there's always one or two of these folders that contain the enigma executable file but they are locked by the OS in a way that you can't delete, can't take ownership, can't change permissions, can't rename, and can't even see who/what is the file owner.
    The only fix I know for this is a reboot. It clears all problems and all slots previously with locked files are deleted and BOINC starts working again. I googled up and down everywhere but couldn't find a fix for it. Even after boinc and all projects exit, the files remain locked.

If anyone finds a fix for it please let me know! It is incredibly annoying having to reboot almost every day because of Enigma.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 07-31-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Site Admin
    After further analysis Enigma is ruled out as a cause... It's happening to other projects too. Just noticed it on Yafu.

I now think it's either BOINC (I'm running dev version 7.8.0) or Windows 10 (never seen this before upgrading to Windows 10). But then again, I've had Windows 10 for a while and it's only started happening recently as of the last few weeks, possibly a bad windows update messed things up?
    Multiple file system checks give no errors, either in Windows or upon boot, and I've had no problems whatsoever with NTFS before.

Here's an example of the errors I receive
    7/31/2017 1:17:10 AM | yafu | [error] Can't copy projects/yafu.myfirewall.org_yafu/ecm63mpir230core2-64.exe to slots/8/ecm.exe: Error 5
    Trying to see what's wrong with that file on the slots/8 folder shows:
    Capture.PNG
    And from there it just says I'm not the owner, it's unable to display who is the owner and trying to change any security settings doesn't work.

Make that two reboots a day...
    Last edited by NeoGen; 07-31-2017 at 06:27 AM.

@NeoGen: I found I had to install the Microsoft Visual Studio X64 C++ redistributable, otherwise the GPU tasks errored out immediately.

Not sure if I'm getting the locked slots problem but I don't have Win 10 on many machines. Also the pharm is spread over numerous projects

Site Admin
    Hope the WUs keep flowing steady, even with the occasional reboots I'm still climbing up fast in the ranks.

Dirk... I'm coming for your #3 rank! Start warming up the crunchers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast