Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a 64 thread cruncher

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (Base: 3.00GHz, Boost: 4.20GHz / 80MB Cache / TR4 / 32 Core / 250 Watt / Without Heatsink/Fan) is showing as Pre-Order status at one of my suppliers for the princely sum of AUD2,679. Ouch!

I think I'll wait on that.

I got a quote for an EPYC as described by Dirk but it was $7,500 so that was really a big ouch too.

ooooh. wow!

Lots of time to wait here too

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (Base: 3.00GHz, Boost: 4.20GHz / 80MB Cache / TR4 / 32 Core / 250 Watt / Without Heatsink/Fan) is showing as Pre-Order status at one of my suppliers for the princely sum of AUD2,679. Ouch!

I got a quote for an EPYC as described by Dirk but it was $7,500 so that was really a big ouch too.
    The most expensive 32-core EPYC is 4,600 Euro's here (AMD Epyc 7601, Tray version. Boxed it is 4,400 Euro's)

Hardware prices can go down south very quickly: the 16-Core/32-Thread Threadripper 1950X 'only' costs 580 Euro's here now...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-08-2018 at 01:16 AM.

don't forget a line conditioner and ethernet protection, too! (or maybe just wifi) just lost 2 switches and maybe some ports on an AP, but thankfully no computers (tho a NIC on our pfSense may have gotten zapped) in a thunderstorm. and our house wasn't even hit (just the one beside us).

oh, also an SSD seemed to get impressively corrupted, too

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post

I want to see when one of those 2990WX gets put on water cooling and overclocked, how far do you think 32 cores can be pushed?

EDIT: Just googled out of curiosity and the Threadripper does indeed put out more heat than some small personal space heaters
    https://soleilheaters.com/ceramic-he...c-heater-mh-01
    Last edited by NeoGen; 08-12-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Perhaps worth noting is that Windows can't handle this many threads well. On the Scottish Boinc Team forum I came across a topic discussing the limits of Windows when building many-thread crunchers, where some 'heavies' from Seti.USA reported their findings. They've made a '640k' barrier again...Now it is the implementation of NUMA that is at fault.

Note that Linux is not affected by this limit.
    yeah, here's some benches https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-windows&num=1

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I want to see when one of those 2990WX gets put on water cooling and overclocked, how far do you think 32 cores can be pushed?

EDIT: Just googled out of curiosity and the Threadripper does indeed put out more heat than some small personal space heaters
    https://soleilheaters.com/ceramic-he...c-heater-mh-01
    here's some LTT silliness, but i think the GPU was 250 watt TDP, also

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Of course somebody would do it... and with Liquid Nitrogen no less!
    https://www.pcgamer.com/overclocker-...o-nearly-6ghz/

32 cores x 5.955GHz each = ~190GHz combined computing power in 1 CPU!
    Last edited by NeoGen; 08-17-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    yeah, here's some benches https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-windows&num=1
    here's some LTT silliness, but i think the GPU was 250 watt TDP, also
    A bit more class, Linus
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-14-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12