Thread: Cluster One - Building the World's Largest SuperComputer

Cluster One - Building the World's Largest SuperComputer

Hi everyone,

I’m the founder of Good Ai Lab and we have just launched our new product Cluster One. It’s a very big project that heavily depends on a community of people being involved and I would love to get your feedback on it. At Cluster One we are trying to help advance science by building the world's largest AI supercomputer.

We understand how much computing power is wasted every day (around 10 billions hours!) and we feel that with our expertise, and if we all join together, we could really make a difference in advancing scientific research.

The product has just launched this week and so I would love your feedback on the site to understand if everything makes sense and would it be something you would want to try, and if not what would stop you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cluster One View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I’m the founder of Good Ai Lab and we have just launched our new product Cluster One. It’s a very big project that heavily depends on a community of people being involved and I would love to get your feedback on it. At Cluster One we are trying to help advance science by building the world's largest AI supercomputer.
    Sounds like either David Anderson has gone commercial, or Gridcoin has found a new voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluster One View Post
    We understand how much computing power is wasted every day (around 10 billions hours!) and we feel that with our expertise, and if we all join together, we could really make a difference in advancing scientific research. The product has just launched this week and so I would love your feedback on the site to understand if everything makes sense and would it be something you would want to try, and if not what would stop you?
    Barking up the wrong tree. We crunchers never leave computing power wasted.

Thank you for your comment.

I understand that you personally are not wasting your computer power but billions of computers in the world (in fact, ~2 Bn in 2010 according to Forrester research) could be.

To give an example: Take Diabetic Retinopathy, a disease that affects people with diabetes, and can ultimately cause blindness. It affects nearly 100 Million people in the world.

For the sake of understanding what it would take to offer a screening solution through AI, let us assume the following.
    - explore 100 ideas
    - run 50 experiments per idea
    - run each of them for a week of computation, on 50 machines

That’s a total of 42MM compute hours.

That would cost around $10MM on the public cloud (eg: on AWS’s c4.2xlarge), or several dozens of millions of upfront investment for a private infrastructure.
    Or it could be provided by 15,000 contributors who provide 8 hours of compute a day for a year, on recent computers.

We see it as a tremendous opportunity to contribute your GPU to science research - you won't be playing games 24/7 so it's idle time can be used for research.

Actually, I've recently written an article explaining why we have created Cluster One, you can read it on Medium: https://medium.com/@mhejrati/announc...r-3abff76a0bb2

As you can see by my WCG badges, I am quite busy with medical research in my computer's spare time.
    I crunch 24/7/365, I do not game at all -I can't find the time for it.

As to GPUs: I've found that it is killing -financially- to have a powerful GPU running 24/7.
    A KWh in the Netherlands costs several times the amount of the same in the USA (20 to 30 cents depending on the hour of day).

So I run BOINC projects mainly on my AMD APUs.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-19-2017 at 02:08 PM.

something like this needs gamification to gather momentum. either fake internet points or an actual microreward (maybe X storage for free for every 1 core per Y computers using the service)