Thread: PrimeGrid News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

PrimeGrid News

Diwali/Deepavali Challenge Starts Today!
    Please note the start time of this challenge: 00:00:00This is 18 hours earlier than usual. Don't be late!Help us celebrate Diwali/Deepavali by participating in our 5 day challenge on the Riesel Problem LLR sub-project.The challenge starts at 00:00:00 UTC tomorrow, October 18th (that's about 7 hours from now), and ends in 5 days at 00:00:00 UTC on October 23rd.The last prime eliminating a k in the Riesel Problem was found on October 4th, 2014 -- just over three years ago!For more information, please see the official challenge thread: http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=7623

More...

This should work as soon as the first credits arrive then:
    Team Stats
    Individual Stats

Come and join me, AMD Users is currently running in 11th place.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Come and join me, AMD Users is currently running in 11th place.
    My i7 PrimeGrid cruncher has come down with the Windows 10 sleep virus, have to check the box multiple times a day to ensure it keeps running.

I have an ancient Q6600 running Win 7 pro 64 that likes to freeze once a day, must be a similar sleepy virus

I have lowered the CPU usage to 25% in BOINC Manager and run it on either Rebirther's SRBase or Stream's PrimeGrid Private GFN Server project (tiny tasks for low powered machines).

If it keeps behaving like it does, I'll call dr. Linux for it...

That's it! I've had it with Win10 on this box, continual baby-sitting. I've set it to no new work and will install the latest Ubuntu on it. One has to keep up with ones times.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-19-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Woo-hoo, made it into the top 300 again! Congratulations to Vaughan on getting back up to 12th too. :-)

Congrats KarmannGaz, that is a Woo-Hoo Moment !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Thanks KarmannGaz.

I had to work hard to get that place back, I was trying for 11th but missed it. Instead of allowing BOINC Manager to put the computers to suspend mode overnight I let them run out of GPU work and allowed the PrimeGrid tasks to run 24/7 on the last day of the competition. When this wasn't enough I fired up a 36 core AWS server only to discover that either BOINC or Primegrid's LLR for The Riesel Problem sub-project cannot handle more than 16 CPUs multithreaded under Linux. This meant the Amazon CPU was running at 50 percent and costing me 51c US per hour! Anyhow, it finished some tasks in about 3.5 hours each which all helped in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmannGaz View Post
    Woo-hoo, made it into the top 300 again! Congratulations to Vaughan on getting back up to 12th too. :-)
    I have trouble staying within the top-1000, project-wise. For this challenge a 409th place was the best I could do.
    The WIndows 10 sleep problems look to be caused by the Intel graphics driver. Disabling the tray icon shows immediate improvement -but not a total cure.
    My next best cruncher ran Linux Mint 17.3 till today, when it showed disk error. Wiped the disk and installed Linux Mint 18.2.
    Still have to restart the BOINC-client in order for the GPUs to show up.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.