Thread: GPUGrid - testing CPU Threads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GPUGrid - testing CPU Threads

GPUGRID: New multicore app and WUs
    Dears,

we would like to test our new CPU multicore application for quantum chemistry tasks ("QC"). Since it’s the first time we have a CPU app out, I’ll test the behavior of GPUGRID with a relatively large batch that you will see soon. Workunits are named "*QC309big*".

Here’s some features of the app, in short (subject to change):

* Platform: Linux only for now, generic x64.
    * Threads: as many as Boinc decides. I guess it depends on your machine, your preferences, and other running tasks in ways which are obscure to me…
    * Run time: about 1 CPU hour per WU (so, shorter if multithreading)
    * Credit: computed with the default algorithm (tasks are short, don’t expect much). Bonus mechanism for fast turnaround is still on.
    * Known bugs: restarts and checkpoints. This should be mitigated with the “keep in memory when suspended” option. Sorry about that, it’s outside of our control.
    * Network behavior: the first time you get a WU of this kind it downloads a Python interpreter (miniconda) and then some open-source packages, and installs them in the project directory. The installation is reused whenever possible.
    * Disk usage: could go around 1 GB, perhaps more when tasks are running. Resetting the project should remove everything.
    * Memory usage: should be around 1 GB when running.

Depending on the results of this test, we’ll start thinking about other platforms.

Thanks and nice crunching!

Toni
    11/10/2017 2:58:07 PM · more...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Doesn't work for us plebs, only a selected 20 lucky participants got to try it. The Project Admin says it is another BOINC mystery why only those folk got tasks.