Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping in

Popping in

I felt I'd been long overdue since I stuck my head in here.

How are you all? Doing well?

We're all eagerly awaiting Raven Ridge (at least I am) to boost our performance, otherwise saving money for Ryzen 7, Threadripper or EPYC.
    How's things with you? Still benchmarking?

I am - well, only recently started again after a job move and move across the county. Haven't done much DC for a while, but have started back on OGR-28 on a Raspberry Pi - it's sat monitoring temperatures so it might as well do some other work.

Awaiting my new Ryzen machine (only a Ryzen 5 mind, but the 1600X version so should be reasonable). I've moved on from building myself, I ordered from a retailer in the UK that assembles it all for you (perks - I get a warrenty as well and less hassle - after using Apple machines for a few years, I've come to appreciate that!)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Welcome back drezha!

I've been doing good myself, I hope you have too.
    I still love to tinker, assemble and disassemble machines, and I'm planning to build an Epyc system sometime this year. But I have to admit it does feels nice when it comes all pre-assembled, shiny and ready to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by drezha View Post
    Haven't done much DC for a while, but have started back on OGR-28 on a Raspberry Pi - it's sat monitoring temperatures so it might as well do some other work.
    Already upgraded to Raspbian Stretch? Insane gain in BOINC integer MIPS -especially after adding some GCC libraries. I use my Pi's for WEP M2 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Already upgraded to Raspbian Stretch? Insane gain in BOINC integer MIPS -especially after adding some GCC libraries. I use my Pi's for WEP M2 at the moment.
    I have indeed. I've also ordered some heatsinks today for the Pi to put on tomorrow evening - mind, it's pretty cold in the hut without any present so I'm not sure the Pi will be overheating much!
    Weekly-Temp.png

Not quite temperatures that the Yanks are facing at the minute mind

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    We have freezing temperatures here, slightly above during the day and slightly below during the night. I've been wishing for a little bit of snow but it hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by drezha View Post
    I have indeed. I've also ordered some heatsinks today for the Pi to put on tomorrow evening - mind, it's pretty cold in the hut without any present so I'm not sure the Pi will be overheating much!
    Weekly-Temp.png

Not quite temperatures that the Yanks are facing at the minute mind
    Try a Pi 3 without a heatsink and/or fan and it will throttle down (or just don't give it enough juice -as in Ampere's)

Hey drezha long time no see, great to have you remember us and stop in. It has been awhile and we do enjoy your company, try not to make it so long next time.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

My Ryzen arrived - can you notice?
    2018-01-11 08_42_46-stats.distributed.net - OGR-28 Participant Summary for Drezha.jpg

Heatsinks applied to the Raspberry Pi but I'm having issues with it restarting - from memory it was linked to the screensaver, even though it's booting to the command line, so I'm going to go back to it and install Stretch Lite on it.

My other Pi needs looking at, as it doesn't want to run a script which was working fine recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast