Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can finally say i'm an AMD User again...

welp, added a second stick of DDR4-2400 finally! this time $10 cheaper than stick 1 @ $35 (but man, i remember 8GB being $40 or so). completely unnecessary, tho :/ wish they had 2GB DIMMs as that would be just perfect for WCG+some GPU projects

also excited to see if it makes much of a difference in performance.

my prediction is minimal to no difference in CPU. possibly a small to moderate increase in GPU

The 16GB set I bought for 170 Euro's last year has dropped to 140 Euro's here now

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    I have been trying the Corsair H60's on my ryzen setups
    if it'll fit around your RAM, check out the Scythe Ninja 4 ($34-40 + $5 AM4 adapter kit) or FSP Windale 6 ($43). while there's no direct comparison of H60 to Ninja 4 or Windale (in my quick google), the NH-D15 beats the H60 by a degree at Guru3D. and the Ninja 4 is hotter than the D15 by 0.25C at TweakTown. and the Windale equals the D15 except when OC'd where it's just hotter by 1C.

unless you're going for small space consumption around the CPU, in which case the H60 wins easily :D

i did a quick vid showing how easy the Ninja 4 install was on AM4... and a side note: the RAM i installed in slot 2 last night cleared by under 5mm. i forgot to pay attention to vertical clearance, so i can't remember if it's completely under the cooler or not (no heatsink like the RAM in the video as it's the same model)

edit: ah yes, the heatsinkless RAM appears to fit under in my video
    Last edited by plonk420; 11-04-2018 at 05:00 PM.

so here's the first quick batch of "tests" ... Nov 3 was Single Channel, Nov 4 was Dual Channel https://imgur.com/a/Wyo8Dto

waiting now for a few full days/a week to go by so i can see them on stats sites

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    so here's the first quick batch of "tests" ... Nov 3 was Single Channel, Nov 4 was Dual Channel https://imgur.com/a/Wyo8Dto

waiting now for a few full days/a week to go by so i can see them on stats sites
    Both runtime and CPU time seem to be lower in the double channel scenario -which theoretically should be so too

at least the CPU doesn't seem starved for bandwidth with single channel (at least with WCG). tho it's probably best to watch it for a week or two to make sure
    Last edited by plonk420; 11-06-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Speaking about starving for bandwidth: Intell has proposed a new line of 48-core Xeons with 12-channel RAM.
    It is to hope for them that they can stand up to the 64-core EPYC2's with 8-channel RAM
    The EPYCs scale pretty good: I saw a facebook message from GigaByte about a server that can place four trays with 2 EPYCs each, giving -now- 8x 32 (=256) cores and 8x 64 (=512) threads.
    With the new EPYC2 that doubles to 8x 64 (=512) cores and 8x 128 (=1024) threads, for just one server. A fairly big one, I haste to say. Expensive, too -but nice to know that it is possible.
    Photo's on our facebook page (like this one:
    )
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-07-2018 at 08:54 AM.

any idea why i'm not getting 16 days of CPU time, give or take a day?

computer isn't rebooting (not finding myself at the login screen). also, computer isn't being used (just sits in the basement, crunching)

Ran out of WUs? Waiting for you with a dialog box?

didn't see dialog boxes. i think i have 1/2 a day of WUs queued, and the low day was i think the day before some announced maint...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast