Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: can finally say i'm an AMD User again...

can finally say i'm an AMD User again...

just got a 2400G!

temps are a bit high, though. like REALLY high (not sure if default cooler is a bit wonky). like 90, 94C was the highest i saw them get. ended up undervolting 0.15V (couldn't hit 0.2V). this got temps down to 75C or so.

the 30 mins i spent with the GPU was pretty nifty, too.

any idea if CPU performance is affected by running single channel? DDR4 is soooo freakin' expensive currently.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    DDR4 is soooo freakin' expensive currently.
    I noticed that when I bought my A12-9800E and bought 16GB DDR4 to go with it, the RAM was just as expensive as the CPU/APU and the mobo (Asrock A320M Pro4) combined!
    90-94℃ seems too high to me, check whether the cooler makes good contact with the CPU/APU.
    Running your RAM in single channel-mode will halve the maximum theoretical memory bandwidth (which is why I ended up buying two sticks of 8GB, instead of one of 16GB).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.

I was determined to get Threadripper this year, still may, but 99% sure I am going to wait after I discovered 4GB per thread would run me $1,800...

Ouch too Hot for me, Ouch to costly for me, if only I was rich

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    90-94℃ seems too high to me, check whether the cooler makes good contact with the CPU/APU.

Running your RAM in single channel-mode will halve the maximum theoretical memory bandwidth (which is why I ended up buying two sticks of 8GB, instead of one of 16GB).
    yeah, i wanted 2 x 2GB, but it seems 4GB is the smallest desktop RAM makers are manufacturing...

and i reeeeally don't want to check HSF contact... will have to take entire mobo out

i'm pretty chuffed at power consumption, tho. 32 watts at idle (i7-4790 from Lenovo was 29 watts). after the undervolting, the distributed computing load consumption was 84 watts. the i7 was 105 give or take. and that even went up to 135 watts or so with a GTX 1060 installed.
    Last edited by plonk420; 04-05-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCabbage View Post
    I was determined to get Threadripper this year, still may, but 99% sure I am going to wait after I discovered 4GB per thread would run me $1,800...
    4GB/thread with a 32-core threadripper means a whopping 128GB of RAM in eight sticks of 16GB. Somewhat surprisingly this can be bought -as cheapest solution- in the form of eight sticks of
    Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD128GX4M8B2800C14 at € 1.129,- (interngeheugen.com)
    If you prefer ECC RAM you can do with four 32GB sticks for around € 1.600 Euro. This might come in handy when future threadrippers will have even more cores...present threadripper mobo's do not support more than 128GB though, IIRC.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-06-2018 at 01:22 AM.

I have been trying the Corsair H60's on my ryzen setups

I wanted to go ECC, and here in the states the price difference between non-ECC and ECC is only $60-80 for the 128GB set, so that's a no brainer to go ECC. Still though, with the PSU, mobo, chip, water (or possibly oil immersion), RAM, and 6x GPUs, even going used on the GPUs (speced for crunching not mining, so not stupidly overpriced but still high) the build is in the ballpark of $7,000.

At this point I am really leaning on phasing out a 3.7Ghz OC quad with a 5-5.2Ghz OC oct, and calling it a year. I need to make my final decision soon however, as the Pentathlon is drawing near. That being said, crunchers in the field, what is the real-life throughput of the Ryzen vs the FX-9590 oct (at stock or low 5s)? Used FX-9590 is $100-150, and all I would need is the chip, so unless the Ryzen's are ridiculously better, it's not worth an entire build on the AM4 platform. I am a fan of go big or go home, if the AM4 build is ~$1,000 and at least doubles the FX I'll go that route, else I will just phase out the quad and wait until next year to talk myself into the then best in slot TR4.

here's IPC based on fixed clockspeed in Cinebench 15 (including an FX series, albeit not a 9000 series)

If you want optimum memory performance, use all channels but only use 1 stick per channel. The 2400G supports 2 memory channels so use 2 sticks, 1 in each channel for the best performance. Many mobos allow 2 sticks per channel but that adds another switching step by the memory controller and slows it down slightly. Also, I thought ECC RAM was slightly slower than non-ECC RAM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast