Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can finally say i'm an AMD User again...

Pure economically speaking I'd say that when you can buy a FX-9590 for about $100 before the pentathlon, you can always try to sell it afterwards for the same amount of money.
    A complete 32-core threadripper setup isn't within reach for all of us, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    If you want optimum memory performance, use all channels but only use 1 stick per channel. The 2400G supports 2 memory channels so use 2 sticks, 1 in each channel for the best performance. Many mobos allow 2 sticks per channel but that adds another switching step by the memory controller and slows it down slightly. Also, I thought ECC RAM was slightly slower than non-ECC RAM.
    And make those two sticks single rank!

16GB DDR4 ECC RAM maxes out at 2667 MHz at the moment, offering a latency of just above 14 ns
    16GB DDR4 non-ECC RAM maxes out at 4000 MHz at the moment, offering a latency of 9.5 ns....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-07-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    ...Also, I thought ECC RAM was slightly slower than non-ECC RAM.
    ECC is slower, but not enough to be noticeable. In a long-term throughput scenario it would surely be noticeable, but if you corrected one error that would have resulted in hours of lost work, you likely made up for most the year. Where you are going to notice the biggest difference in speed is both the max stock clock-rate of ECC chips as well as their over-clocking ability, but you are correct DDR3-1666 ECC is slightly slower than DDR3-1666 non-ECC.

My reason for going ECC is I have a long history with popping RAM chips like it's my job, so not only would ECC limit the random reboot feature I often find myself with, but the logs will tell me exactly which stick has failed so I can pull and go without spending the 12-96h trying to find the culprit via memtest. Now I don't expect it to be magic, I know a failed stick is a failed stick and ECC isn't going to change that, but at least the system logs will give me a warning something is wrong (hopefully) before the unit has to go down for a lengthy diagnostics and repair.

don't have the money for more at the moment. i'd rather wait til prices got sane til i got what i want to end up with (2 x 8)

but how does it impact performance? i know it impacts games and their framerates, but does it impact computing? i think i recall a dual channel vs triple not impacting some high performance/well written applications like x264. couldn't find any for this, though.

also, 2200/2400G officially supports up to DDR4-2933

An article on 2400G RAM speeds
    They did not test with BOINC projects however
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-08-2018 at 07:58 AM.

yeah, this one has tons of games, too, but no apps.

oh, just wanted to follow up, temps were my fault. there was what looked like a thumb gouge in the default thermal goop that somehow was somehow holding the cooler away from the heatspreader. applied some MX-2 i'd just ordered (made sure it seemed to be making full contact with the goo) and temps were 68C (still undervolted). back to 80C after discovering i could run the GPU, too on MW@H and Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    90-94℃ seems too high to me, check whether the cooler makes good contact with the CPU/APU.
    I hate to be an I-told-you-so, but...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Wow, I had not actually been looking at the prices, but indeed DDR4 RAM price is through the roof. What happened? Another flood in Asia something similar like in the 2000s when the hard drive prices went through the roof?

not sure re: DDR4. all i could find was speculation (other than that there are now only 3 notable DRAM manufacturers. the remaining mfgs make up 5.6% as of 1Q17)

anywho, back on topic: not sure how it compares processor-wise to things newer than Haswell, but the GPU portion of the 2400G is getting me ~300K/week on Milkyway@Home! i'm liking that a fair bit. (undervolted 0.1v) all while using just 88 watts CPU-only, and 114 watts CPU+GPU!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast