Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9. BOINC Pentathlon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

9. BOINC Pentathlon

This arrived today:

Hi Vaughan, hi AMD Users,

it's that time again, the BOINC Pentathlon is just a few weeks away. For the ninth time, SETI.Germany invites the passionate crunchers from all over the world to compete in this team competition from 05 May to 19 May in five disciplines at five projects.

The teams may sign up and vote for their favorite projects from a pre-selection using the registration form at https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pe.../anmeldung.php until 27 April. Late registration until 02 May is possible, but without the opportunity to vote for projects.

For more information about the BOINC Pentathlon, please visit the Pentathlon pages: https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

It will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon! Looking forward to seeing you again there!

Regards
    pschoefer
    SETI.Germany

I need suggestions for the projects. The rues are here:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pe...tml#collapse25

My vote is Rosetta, Asteroids, and SETI. Of the remaining the only one I have experience with is Universe, and it runs very nice on Linux and Windows, however I am hesitant to vote for that as they haven't had work until a few days ago.

Quorum 1? Quorum 2? What do they mean?
    Google is your best friend: "with a quorum 1 project you don't have to wait for a wingman to validate to get credit"

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:

Marathon (CPU, 14 days)
    Sprint (CPU, 3 days)
    City Run (CPU, 5 days)
    Cross Country (GPU, 5 days)
    Swimming (CPU, 7 days)
    Each team may suggest four Projects while signing up. The projects are assigned to the disciplines as follows:

Marathon
    The project is set by the organizers.

Sprint
    The project with the most votes that provides workunits with a quorum of 1.

City Run
    The CPU project with the most votes that is not already chosen for Marathon or Sprint.

Cross Country
    The GPU project with the most votes.

Swimming
    The CPU project with the most votes that is not already chosen for another discipline.
    Quorum CPU GPU
    Quorum 1 NFS@Home
    NumberFields@home
    ODLK*
    Rosetta@home
    SRBase
    YAFU
    Quorum 2 Asteroids@home**
    Citizen Science Grid
    RakeSearch
    Universe@Home
    Amicable Numbers
    PrimeGrid
    SETI@home
    *: If ODLK is chosen, either ОДЛК or OLDK1 will be scored in consultation with the project administrators.
    **: Asteroids@home is listed as a CPU project because, in contrast to other GPU projects, a GPU is barely more powerful than a CPU./p>

Projects are not eligible if they

• were chosen in last year's Pentathlon (Cosmology@Home, Einstein@Home, LHC@home, World Community Grid, yoyo@home)
    • can not provide a sufficient number of workunits
    • do not support at least Windows and Linux
    • provide non-CPU-intensive (NCI) applications
    • use buggy or test-only applications
    • do not allow the creation of new accounts
    • do not support WebRPC
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-07-2018 at 10:53 PM.

I wrote a PM to P. Schoefer at the Seti-Germany forum saying I didn't trust rebirther the SRBase admin to have tasks available for a 2 week challenge. In my recent experience SRBase frequently runs out of work for days at a time. I have offered him financial assistance and suggested he setup a "Donations" page but he refused. He continues trying to run the project from a Virtual Machine on his laptop. Sheesh! I also suggested he setup a sub-project at SRBase (like PrimeGrid has) for sieving tasks. Instead he has let yoyo@home take on the duty of sieving for SRBase. That is just weird IMHO.

P. Schoefer replied:
    We are aware of the work supply problems. However, there is a difference between constantly supplying work all year and queueing up lots of work for a short period of high demand. We asked Rebirther if we should add SRBase to the list and he replied that he thinks he can supply enough work. Since he competed in the Pentathlon himself, he also has an idea how much computing power it brings to the projects.

My concern is the word "thinks". With the powerhouse known as Gridcoin, the SRBase tasks will more than likely run out.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Expectation management is everyone's individual responsibility, of course, but in the face of consistent statistics, defiance is tom-foolery.
    It follows that the more that the project is advertised the more disappointment will follow.
    No marketer or project manager that I know would follow that formula.
    So this amounts to fair warning.
    Damn.
    Damn shame.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Looks like they announced the the marathon project. NumberFields@Home.

Never crunched for them before. Interested to learn about the project and provide some CPU time!

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

To be honest I do not think that any of the CPU projects mentioned is able to supply the Pentathlon with 14 days work -the Marathon event....

It may already be decided and it may not be on the list.

So what do we want to select?
    Quorum 1:
    NFS@Home
    NumberFields@home
    ODLK* - selected by race organizers as the marathon 14D project already
    Rosetta@home
    SRBase
    YAFU

Quorum 2:
    Asteroids@home**
    Citizen Science Grid
    RakeSearch
    Universe@Home Amicable Numbers
    PrimeGrid
    SETI@home

I like NumberFields@home for the Sprint and RakeSearch for the CityRun 5D with PrimeGrid for the Cross Country GPU project 5D. Finally for the 7D Swimming project I select Citizen Science Grid.

Other contributions welcome, please post in time for our team vote being submitted.

My four choices.

Rosetta@Home, PrimeGrid, Citizen Science Grid, RakeSearch

Thanks for keeping up with the information Vaughan. I look forward to another pentathlon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast