Thread: PrimeGrid News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

PrimeGrid News

BOINC Pentathalon and Manual Credit
    For two weeks next month, From May 5th until May 19th, the annual BOINC Pentathalon will be happening. In the past PrimeGrid has been fortunate to be chosen as one of the disciplines, and we're once again in the running for this year's Pentathalon. It has come to our attention that our manual credit system has been used in the past to try and game the Pentathalon's scoring system. We've also noticed several people who seem to be planning on doing that this year. We don't like cheaters. Neither do most of you. We believe in providing a level playing field. In order to both prevent cheating and to discourage people from even trying, we will be turning off the manual credit system during the Pentathalon. You'll still be able to earn manual credit during the Pentathalon, but it won't be applied until after the 19th. All this is predicated on PG being part of the Pentathlon. If not, it doesn't matter. But for the purposes of argument we're assuming we will be. The discussion thread for this topic is located here.

More...

Manual credit? Never heard of... could somebody please explain?

It is possible to run certain projects from the Command line (you know ye olde DOS box - Start -> CMD.exe enter

There are six manual sieve projects but the one I run is GFN18. There is also PRPNet which is a bit more complicated to setup and it uses the CPU.

On the PrimeGrid home page on the left side menu under the heading Returning Participants select Manual Sieving and select from one of the 6 options.
    You need to download the application and reserve a range of work (start with 1G to test your GPU and see how long it takes). You run the command and the range as per the instructions provided:

eg CD\Downloads
    GFNSvCUDA-0_7_1-win32.exe 18 109554 109569 then press enter

(109554 and 109569 are the beginning and end of the range I have reserved.

The application will run on the GPU and provide progress updates and an estimate of time remaining.

On completion, visit the web page and follow the instructions to update the completed sieve file.

Manual points for the PSA project are allocated sometime over the next week (often the next day).

My GTX1050ti does a 15G range in about 22 hours and earns about 130,000 points.

Thanks for the info! I may soon feel the need for yet another badge...