Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Second Gen Ryzens are out!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

New Second Gen Ryzens are out!

And they appear to be really good, going head to head or beating similar priced Intels. Take a look at the analysis and tests done by Anadtech.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625...n-5-2600x-2600

And as software is becoming optimized for Ryzen, it's interesting to see the First Gen Ryzens are now faster than they were at launch
    https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-it-used-to-be

And I hope these guys are right about a possible 2800X, that would be awesome!
    https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryz...-coffee-lake-s

And I can't wait to see the Second Gen of Threadrippers! Ripping it even harder!

Well I bought mine (2700x) and it suffers the same fault that the Ryzen 1 (1700) has - it won't boot unless a monitor is plugged in.

Temps using stock AMD fan are high on idle 50C.

Need to find out how to switch off the stupid LED on the cooler fan.

Most the time I pull the 5v pin from the fan connectors, that way it can easily be undone if I ever desire. If that does not work, just cut the wire going to the LED. As far as the booting issue, will it boot with a VGA dummy plug?

Now the first batch of DDR4 RAM I bought won't play nicely with the ASUS Prime X470-Pro motherboard. The system won't POST, just emits some beeps.
    The RAM is G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16GB (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

Today I bought a different pair of RAM sticks: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Red (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R).

I'll try them later and hope they work.

Isn't the beeps the AM4 bootcamp RAM training or so? Can you disable that setting and let XMP do the job for you, or load default values?

Next update:
    The Corsair RAM works fine. However, the CPU temps are too high with idle 98-101C and BOINC 119-121C with random reboots.

Have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 SE dedicated AM4 CPU Cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Next update:
    The Corsair RAM works fine. However, the CPU temps are too high with idle 98-101C and BOINC 119-121C with random reboots.
    Have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 SE dedicated AM4 CPU Cooler.
    Either you're severely overclocking, or the stock cooler has a rotten construction. What is your core voltage? How much MHz are you pushing?
    To run at 119-121℃, it seems you're running at full turbo mode (4300 MHz?) on all eight cores, needing 1.5V or more core voltage to do so.
    It does not look healthy to me....

With the Noctua cooler and using HWMonitor the temps are 65-67C on all 8 cores, max is 4115 MHz, max is 1.487V

I'm going try some Primegrid LLR'ing overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    With the Noctua cooler and using HWMonitor the temps are 65-67C on all 8 cores, max is 4115 MHz, max is 1.487V

I'm going try some Primegrid LLR'ing overnight.
    That sounds amost like the Noctua sales department, 54℃ lower temperatures. Then again, big-air hardly comes better than the top-of-the-line Noctua's

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Wow vaughan, that kind of temperatures can kill a CPU real quick, and sometimes take the motherboard with it.
    I'm almost sure that means the thermal paste probably wasn't doing its job, did the CPU come with one of those cheap sticky thermal pads? Those usually don't work that great.
    But I'm there with you guys, all my fans and heatsinks as of several years from now have been Noctuas and for thermal paste I use both Noctua and Artic Silver. I think Artic Silver has proven to have a slight edge in independent tests, but I got a bunch of Noctua thermal paste tubes that came included with every heatsink, so I have to use it, but it has been pretty good for my needs too so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast