Thread: Prime Grid announces Do Not Use NVidia Driver 373.31

Prime Grid announces Do Not Use NVidia Driver 373.31

PrimeGrid: Do not use Nvidia driver 397.31
    It has come to my attention that Nvidia recently released a new video driver that is causing widespread problems. 397.31 seems to cause the GPU to become inaccessible to both CUDA and OpenCL programs after a while, and can only be reset by rebooting the computer. It's likely this affects all BOINC projects and not just PrimeGrid. Indeed, it probably affects all GPU programs, even those that don't run under BOINC. There's a newer, hotfix driver 397.55 which seems to correct the problem. I strongly recommend either upgrading to 397.55 or rolling back to a driver earlier than 397.31.

More information can be found here .
    5/6/2018 2:26:37 PM · more...

Finding the initial link sends you here:

Select for your OS comes here:

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm so happy I always choose AMD

<rant-start>
    But seriously, I won't pin this just on NVidia, every single software company out there from A to Z has this same problem, little to no proper development and testing. Our culture of impatience and wanting things right now makes a lot of pressure on software creators to put out something that halfway does the job and then fix it later (if ever).
    I will however pin this straight up on Microsoft, as one of the biggest software development companies in the world (if not the biggest), it is their responsibility to lead by example. But their example is what we see every day, so... I won't expect anything less from those who follow them.

Yes, I'm very unsatisfied at the state of software in the 21st century, and probably what irks me the most is that there's no consequence or price to pay for them. There's just a "Sorry, we'll fix that on the next release". But dare I not pay them their yearly support fee and I'm instantly cut off. I would love to see that happen on a restaurant. "Sorry your meal was burned, and had hairs on it. Next time we'll make it better. Here's your bill, and come again".

</rant-end>
    Last edited by NeoGen; 05-06-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Your very right on the diagnosis of the problem and the ending result is I am catching up to you in Enigma now! Love the Rant

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Here here!! I'll second that.
    I am no less than disgusted by the quality level of modern development and most of it is due to the terrible quality of the frameworks and libraries that modern programmers are expected or required to use.
    In some areas it has become quite shameless.
    The pioneer likes of Kernigan and Ritchie, Date, Gupta etc. had great vision and incredible foresight (as per my bookshelf), but sadly a lot of leaders since then have taken short cuts - perhaps dictated by their budgets.
    I do not believe that we have arrived at the place that was prescribed because we have not followed the path required to get there.
    Whilst nirvana is a place that we would all like to be, it is despicable for a 'paradigm agent' to roll out a change that takes us all backwards.
    That is unacceptable behaviour and should be punished.
    I wish that they would rebuild everything else they produce from scratch instead of patching failed patches ( not a good business model unless you have market lock-in ).
    On a positive note, Microsoft have finally started to turn SQL Server into a respectable data base suite, which is nice.
    Perhaps we can look forward to more brand re-vamps by the M$ in the near future. Economic models are changing. They'd better have a plan for that.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------