Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trays of crunchers 2.0? kickstarter for 4.7" x 4.7" embedded Ryzen APU boards

trays of crunchers 2.0? kickstarter for 4.7" x 4.7" embedded Ryzen APU boards

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ign_for_a_new/

here's some tempting toys. some are 4c8t and clock in at under 65 watts. i'm having a tough decision looking at these or an older gen 8-10+ core 1.8-2.2 ghz Xeon (computationally are there any Opterons that get as much work done for similar power?)

also, however, note the Dec 2018 delivery date, tho

here's the APU stats:

Last edited by plonk420; 06-01-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Fantastic, but roughly twice the price I'm willing to pay for it (as with UDOO ARM boards).
    I wouldn't be surprised if the $229 turns out to be the price for the dual-core/four threads model, but let's give them the benefit of doubt and suppose it is the Ryzen V1605B they mean when saying V1000.
    Heck no, they are planning a V3 and a V8 The 4c/8t model will be more expensive than $229...

An Asrock A320M Pro4 or AB350M Pro4 mobo combined with a Ryzen 3 2200G offers more, IMHO (not only the possibility to upgrade it to a Ryzen 5 2400G and have up to 64 GB of RAM).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-01-2018 at 09:05 AM.

the power consumption is nice, tho. and some like that it supports ECC (only 1-2 boards currently do?). also, as someone pointed out, it's just slightly bigger than a toilet paper square!

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    the power consumption is nice, tho. and some like that it supports ECC (only 1-2 boards currently do?). also, as someone pointed out, it's just slightly bigger than a toilet paper square!
    All Asrock AM4 and TR4 boards claim to support ECC too, to my knowledge -though I would like more Asrock iTX boards for socket AM4.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.

oh, i went back and skimmed http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...deep-dive.html

i guess the non-officially-supporting-ECC boards semi-work. hard to tell how well without a more comprehensive review or official ECC board to compare against.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    oh, i went back and skimmed http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...deep-dive.html

i guess the non-officially-supporting-ECC boards semi-work. hard to tell how well without a more comprehensive review or official ECC board to compare against.
    If DDR4 RAM wasn't so expensive I'd buy some sticks to compare them, but 16 GB costed me trice the amount of cash that I spent on my Mobo and almost double the money I needed for the APU that went with it...

DDR4 RAM prices over here (16 GB DDR4 2400)

This of what the Asrock manual says about RAM:
    Memory
    • Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
    • 4 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
    • AMD Ryzen series CPUs support DDR4 3200+(OC)/2933 (OC)/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
    • AMD 7th Gen A-Series APUs support DDR4 2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
    * Please refer to Memory Support List on ASRock’s website for more information. (http://www.asrock.com/)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-02-2018 at 02:23 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Wow, that little board will pack a punch indeed. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

In relation to that, have you seen the COM Express boards based on Ryzen? It's similar in specs, I just never figured out how do you use a COM Express board.
    Here's one I remember, the Congatec Conga-TR4

The Udoo Bolt V8 costs $279, which makes it a very interesting choice for a low-power cruncher.
    It almost packs twice the punch compared to the $229 Udoo Bolt V3....

BTW: it features a M.2 M-Key 2280 for NVME storage modules (supports PCIe Gen 3 x4)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-04-2018 at 10:08 PM.

yeah, hopefully you can hook up dual NICs to it in some way (they sell dual NICs for one of their existing boards).

someone said it would make a great router with VPN on higher speed connections (otherwise, it would probably be overkill... i was running pfSense on an Athlon 750 until Comcast hit over 105 mbps, then i had to upgrade)

looks like they're priced a bit better than the Sapphires that can ship sooner (considering what you get with some UDOO packages)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...e_fp5v_boards/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast