Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crunchathlon wcg [monthly run - race xxxviii]

i'm not debating WHERE the SOC is. i KNOW it's on the chip. i'm pointing out in particular what portion of the VRMs are for the SOC (and how many)

you're lucky because you have 3 phases for the SOC. mine only has 2, and they're uncooled (not that mine need it)
    Last edited by plonk420; 06-30-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    i'm not debating WHERE the SOC is. i KNOW it's on the chip. i'm pointing out in particular what portion of the VRMs are for the SOC (and how many)

you're lucky because you have 3 phases for the SOC. mine only has 2, and they're uncooled (not that mine need it)
    Please put this at AMD and ask their opinion about it, please...

i'm not quite sure what you're arguing against...

edit: i'm talking about what mobo manufacturers / OCers call SOC VRM. looks like AMD has their own definition of SOC
    Last edited by plonk420; 07-01-2018 at 05:07 AM.

i'm not quite sure what you're arguing against...

edit: i'm talking about what mobo manufacturers / OCers call SOC VRM. looks like AMD has their own definition of SOC
    AMD uses the same definition that other chipmakers use (Intel, Allwinner, Broadcom, Qualcomm, Samsung, etc)

Where do you think the acronym SOC stands for? If it is State-of-Charge, be assured that you won't find it in your motherboard manual, nor on the mobo manufacturers websites.
    It looks like a OCers-only acronym (and quite a confusing one)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-01-2018 at 08:33 AM.

http://i65.tinypic.com/nmdmh4.jpg
    https://www.techpowerup.com/img/Qlsoo9m3yxSkwTFq.jpg
    https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL21l...MtTUFJTi5qcGc=

my BIOS has it, and i'm moderately certain your BIOS has it, too (edit: seems Pro4 may not unless they hid it in a menu not shown in the manual the way i'm pretty sure mine is)
    Last edited by plonk420; 07-01-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Well, it all boiled down to a difference in interpretation of SOC, and I only knew the acronym stood for System-On-a-Chip (Wikipedia knows about State-Of-Charge, but names it for batteries) System-On-a-Chip is used with electronic design, just as I used it before. We were both right and both wondered how the other could not see what we meant, LOL.

i'm considering basing my next GPU purchases (and maybe mobo) off of the components rather than "cheapest darn GPU i can find"

have you looked into them? they're kinda interesting to follow and see people analyze...

i'm considering basing my next GPU purchases (and maybe mobo) off of the components rather than "cheapest darn GPU i can find"

have you looked into them? they're kinda interesting to follow and see people analyze...
    I'm afraid it's performance at a cost: The more you pay, the better the BOINC credits and the higher your power bill.
    That's why I am such a huge fan of APUs and SOCs (there I go again): their CPUs run anyway and their GPUs are hitching a ride for free.
    Raven Ridge APUs run at 65 Watt TDP and the 'E' models even at 35 watt TDP.
    And their GPU is at least supported under Linux (Even my Bristol Ridge APU is partially supported under Linux Mint 18.3)

With a bit of fiddling the better ARM SOCs (such as the octo-cores in your smartphones) can be made to run both CPU and GPU tasks too, if you are into re-compiling your own client and running as an anonymous platform.

I have taken a look at GPUs before, so this might be a bit out of date

i'm just more tired of hardware dying, especially video cards, and usually higher end ones, too. i guess it's been a while since i've had a mobo die (i'm still rocking a $60 P55 board from 2009 or so in one system), but i don't want to experience that and have a hard time finding a replacement board if the CPU is high end enough.

I was just talking with a friend about video cards the other day, I have not lost one since I think the HD2xxx series was out, but I was running NVIDIA in those days before AMD/ATi overtook them. I lost quite a few back then, though come to think of it I was buying cards for cost, not for raw FLOPs, so they were probably designed to fit a budget. Since my first HD 4850s I have been buying only used cards, and overclocking and running the crap out of them, so far knock on wood I have not lost a single GPU other than no longer being worth it's power cost and behind shelved. Not sure if it's luck, better manufacturing, or just getting out of the infant mortality phase by buying used.

SoC normally means System on Chip these days, but I still read it 50% of the time as State of Charge from my lead-acid solar days. Kind of how I always have to delete RAID and retype it as raid if I am not talking about a Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

Anyway, the real reason for my post here today, I have an Adreno 512 in active duty and perhaps a few other GPUs on phones laying around. Is it as straight forward as just compiling and setting up the anonymous platform? How does it perform if rocking all eight cores as well? I hate APUs personally (sorry Dirk) but the one I did run seemed to be highly nurfed when running CPU to the max. Was a dual core, 1 CPU 1 Einsten GPU would finish Einstein in like 1h 40m, 2 CPU and 1 Einstein GPU shot that up over 17h. I got it free so figured I would play with it, but outside of the Pent I don't even bother to turn it on. Also today I learned Adreno use to be owned by ATi then AMD, and is a anagram of Radeon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast