Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCG News

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I've been dealing with GDPR too at my workplace, it's pretty interesting and scary. They want corporations to protect peoples identity and personal information by enacting these incredible measures to diminish the possibility of data leakage, and there's heavy fines in case of a data breach happening. (And they happen somewhere everyday, most we don't even know)
    The funny thing is that almost everything can be considered PII (Personally Identifiable Information), and thus have to be anonymized. I read an example just a few days ago of how a person's general location/timezone can be deduced by analyzing time stamps of web activity for example. And even us here all speaking in english, by language analysis through an AI agent somebody could deduce our origins, be it european, american, southern pacific, or probably with even more detail down to the country itself. If you start thinking about it you fall in a deep rabbit hole of which is pretty hard to get out of.

I think GDPR falls in the category of "killing a fly with a shotgun".

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    The posting is already at 11 pages...(the main one)
    good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I read an example just a few days ago of how a person's general location/timezone can be deduced by analyzing time stamps of web activity for example. And even us here all speaking in english, by language analysis through an AI agent somebody could deduce our origins, be it european, american, southern pacific, or probably with even more detail down to the country itself. If you start thinking about it you fall in a deep rabbit hole of which is pretty hard to get out of.
    yeah, an anonymous poster could be tied to someone based on their writing style (i can't think of the best way to word that). an easy example is JK Rowling writing pseudonymously, an AI identified her by her writing style. and it can be done on a far smaller scale, too (not sure what the lower limit is).

Over here some journalists were able to track soldiers, secret agents and spies using common sports apps.
    Very recently two Iranian diplomats were send home by the Dutch government. Would that be connected? Did they jog too close to secrets?

P.S. If i bring a telephone directory to the thrift store, would that be a breach of security? Names, addresses and telephone numbers of persons......

Some good news from WCG:

"Re: Data exports & status of Data Processing Agreement
    I am pleased to report that access to the data export files has been re-activated and is available again. Volunteers who wish to access the data will not need to sign a Data Processing Agreement or obtain tokens.

The review concluded that if volunteers are given explicit notice of and sufficient control over how their data is used, there was no legal justification for imposing any further restrictions on the data export files. The review also concluded that we will likely need to reinforce and strengthen the consent language in a few places on our website, but that doesn't stop us from opening up access to the data exports in the meantime.

This process took significantly longer than any of us hoped or anticipated, and we understand people's frustrations while we had to disable access pending the legal review. But we felt it was important to push back aggressively on what was initially a process more appropriate to a commercial engagement than a philanthropic initiative and to persevere until we had an outcome that was both GDPR-compliant as well as volunteer-friendly.

Finally, a reminder that while access to the data exports is now unrestricted, the export files only include data of volunteers who have opted to make their information public.

Thanks as always for all your support,
    Juan"

bok's stats are working again and he also has regained access to badge information.

YAY.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12