Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot hot hot... :-(

I have thought about building enclosures like that for cooling..... for crunching, not mining. Would be great in the winter however the warm months here would really be rough as the outside air temps are too high and the gpu's would cook. Plus my electrical bills would skyrocket :\ but who knows. Always looking for more crunching power but the one has to deal with the real world too. lol And in my real world I've got my hotrods (cars) that get pretty pricey in their own right. :-) AND not to forget that there is a wife involved too that has an input on financial expenditures!! But at any rate I enjoyed watching the utube video... there is some serious money involved there.

do you have a cold basement to throw a few computers down in? we do, but between a Pentium 4 pfSense box and 2400G in the small enclosed space under the basement steps, it can't keep any more computers cool

nope, no basement.

So not as hot here in Sunriver, OR as at home. Temperature goes down in the night real well, so that is nice. Sadly only brought a couple computers with me when I came down over a week and a half ago. Should be heading back Friday or Saturday so I'll have my farm to play with again. :-) So in my boredom I started looking at World Community Grid, and then crunching some of the Zika work units. Well in looking at Bok's stats, I noticed I had passed my old AMD_Brucifer account that I had forgotten all about. So spent a while dinking with that till I got the password issue solved and bingo, now have started crunching Zika units for that. So in looking at WCG it dowan't appear that there are any gpu crunching opportunities.... or am I not seeing something?? But when I get back home I'll definitely throw some more crunching effort on WCG.

yeah, no GPU units currently :/

too bad.... I got on this kick a few years ago of just getting some i3's and using them for life support systems for gpu's so my farm isn't cruncher cpu intensive to say the least..lol. The stuff I was really pursuing was rc5 and primegrid. Got an 8-core intel but it loves electricity more than a teenaged girl loves her hair dryer. And of course like the hair dryer it puts out heat and then some. lol So I have a 2-core nuc hyperthreaded, and one of those cores grinds a zika in 1 hr 18 mins, and a i3 dual, no hyper-thread and it grinds a zika in 1hr 2mins. and the nuc runs cool on the zika unit, whereas it runs hotter running a single LLR PG unit same setup. So maybe the octacore set back to hyperthreading running 8 cores won't be too terrible a heat generator. Will have to try that when I get back home. The PG LLR stuff is pretty optimized and really works the cpu cores hard.

Got back home. Drove up at night to try and avoid the heat but it was a really warm night Was 84 at 11pm when I got home. So I don't have much running here, just a few cores on WCG running zika. Thankfully they don't work the cores hard enough to generate much heat. The a/c units are working 24x7 just keeping the house cooled down a bit. Lots of small fites, and a few big ones close by. It's pretty smokey out. Folks with alergies are having a rough go.. August is normally hot, but this one is a wicked one unfortunately. So the crunching is going to be limping along for a few more weeks sadly.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Yea, it's been a tough August over here in Arkansas too. Can't wait for this hot weather to end. I'll be pretty much offline for two weeks, last of august and first of september traveling. That will help my light bill quite a bit

Arkansas huh.... :-) Got a friend flying fire-fighting planes down there.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Nice! For a fire-fighting related job you need to have some serious guts. I'm not sure of one thing though, between fighting fires on the ground or fighting fires from above, which one is the more dangerous?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast