Thread: is it bad to undervolt?

is it bad to undervolt? (and do any of you?)

this is part "help win an internet argument" but part curiosity as i undervolt, myself. i ASSume not.

the context was a Vega GPU. as for me, i ran a Ryzen APU -0.1v at 100% since April mainly to save on heat til i got my ubercooler, but saving power was a good side effect, also.

do any of you undervolt? if so, ever suspected a failure was due to that rather than general component wear and tear?
    Last edited by plonk420; 11-20-2018 at 09:58 PM.

I'd rather overvolt myself (for performance), but my power bill prevents it (four times higher than the rest of the neighbourhood)...
    I am a huge fan of the lower tdp range of AMD, can't wait for Ryzen 5 2400GE...basically undervolting a Ryzen 5 2400G gives you a Ryzen 5 2400GE of course, might take that route myself
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-21-2018 at 12:05 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    My crude knowledge of overclocking (and no electrical background at all) makes me think that undervolting would actually help extend the lifespan of a given hardware part as opposed to overvolting that is proven to kill it faster.
    Passing less current generates less heat and probably less friction in the transistors, the problem is that if it's too low the transistors can't register the correct values and that leads to all kinds of software issues down the line (blue screens, crashes, etc)

Maybe there is an electrical engineer somewhere in our userbase that can read this thread and explain us in further detail?

i'm also curious if those especially with larger farms undervolt, too. i plan to after i finish my single channel vs dual channel experiment #2

How low can you go?