Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PrimeGrid News

how much is that going to cost?? seems like you could almost buy another CPU! speaking of which, Threadripper 1950X is $450 at Microcenter...

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    speaking of which, Threadripper 1950X is $450 at Microcenter...
    Lowest price here is 568 Euro's via Amazon Germany, that's more than 200 Euro's(!) below the next cheapest seller at 780 -there are even idiots still trying to cash almost 1000 Euro's for them, with 64-core Threadripper3 almost out,
    and 32-core Threadripper2 on the shelves -at 1,800 Euro's.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-22-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Scott Brown keeps finding Primes at a rate of roughly one a day, so now has 11 of them. Randall J. Scalise's prime is still the biggest, and so is his credit score.
    And he is keeping his pace, Scott Brown, now on February 22 at twenty-two found primes. tng* has the biggest found prime, 288larsson has the highest credit score

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    how much is that going to cost?? seems like you could almost buy another CPU! speaking of which, Threadripper 1950X is $450 at Microcenter...
    The GPUs are USD3 / hour each but I managed to get two of what Amazon call "spot instances" at USD1.25 an hour until March 1st.
    The 12 CPUs have cost USD750 so far this month. Considering the cost of electricity and a/c it is cheaper than buying extra computers.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    The GPUs are USD3 / hour each but I managed to get two of what Amazon call "spot instances" at USD1.25 an hour until March 1st.
    The 12 CPUs have cost USD750 so far this month. Considering the cost of electricity and a/c it is cheaper than buying extra computers.
    Wow... 12 CPUs costing 750/month, that's still a lot.
    I'm in charge of the electric bill by decree of the Mrs (as probably many of us in this hobby ) but I barely go above USD $200 per month in the most intense summer months, running them inside the house. This year I'm in the slow process of converging to a server rack system and do away with some of these oddball computer cases spread around. Bought me a monster 42U server rack that I can fit myself inside, a PDU, and a few more things, still need a good UPS to back it up and have several more plans in the pipeline, but this is an expensive hobby.

I always wondered something vaughan but I don't know if I ever asked... what do you do with all your older computers you don't run anymore?

The really old ones get their RAM removed and then chucked in the bin on garbage night (our local council doesn't offer an eWaste collection). The 10 year olds (Q6600/Q8200 etc) get run during events such as this Tour de Primes month of February challenge and the power bill rises accordingly. Otherwise they are powered off in the computer room.

When a computer dies eg I have lost 3 of 6 Dell Optiplex 990s running Intel Sandy Bridge 2600 CPUs they become paperweights in the music room; I should chuck them out but I just wish I could replace the power supplies as I think that is what went "pop".

I use old PC casings to build storage racks. Two PCs, board on it, two PCs on that board, board over them, etc. On the boards, cardboard oranges boxes with PC stuff.
    Might consider dealing in retro PC stuff, there's at least a Harris 286-20 there, an AMD 386DX-40, and some Intel Pentium-66's...

Meanwhile Vaughan has climbed to a shared 5th/6th plce in the yellow jersey rankings!
    Those PCs are good for something...
    Recursive just found his 3rd prime, any other members successful?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-26-2019 at 12:15 AM.

The polka-dot jersey has gone to [AF>EDLS]GuL, Scott Brown still leads for the yellow jersey. The red jersey is now on the shoulders of JayPi, while 288larsson still firmly leads in the green jersey rankings

For the last day I've added 6 x [8] NVIDIA Tesla K80 running on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2686 v4 @ 2.30GHz [Family 6 Model 79 Stepping 1]
    (32 processors).

Hope that investment in horsepower finds a prime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12