Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2019 BOINC Pentathlon

2019 BOINC Pentathlon

This invitation arrived today:

Hi Vaughan, hi AMD Users,

here we go again. From 05 May to 19 May, the tenth BOINC Pentathlon [https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/] will impose the known, but also new challenges, and [sg]SETI.Germany[/sg] warmly invites all enthusiast teams to join.

While the basic concept of five disciplines at five projects of course remains untouched, there are again some innovations [see also https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pe...n_Rules.html]: Javelin Throw is a fresh and new discipline and requires the teams to cleverly split their resources, as the rankings are not based on the sum of all points, but only on each team's third best day out of five (not necessarily consecutive) days. This year's Marathon will take place at a subproject of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators. The preferences of the participating teams are taken into account, with some limitations, for choosing the projects for the other disciplines.

Until 27 April, the teams can sign up and vote for their favorite projects using this form: https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pe...g.php?&lang=en. So, don't be shy and join:

It will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon!

Best regards
    pschoefer
    SETI.Germany

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    It's that time of the year again? I swear it seems to come around faster and faster every time

They banned GridCoin, so other teams have a chance. They even changed the rules in such a way that SUSA isn't automatically sure of a top spot in the absence of GridCoin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    They banned GridCoin, so other teams have a chance. They even changed the rules in such a way that SUSA isn't automatically sure of a top spot in the absence of GridCoin.
    Rumour has it that SUSA isn't even participating this year, as SUSA members that also post at TSBT write.
    What are our plans?

OK AMD Users. We need to decide the projects we want to put forward for this year. Time is running out folks.
    I suggest anything other than SRBase as the guy who runs it (Rebirther at SRBase but known as Walli at Primegrid) will steal your Prime numbers and report them to the Top5000 list managed by Dr Chris Caldwall unless you read the PM message at the SRBase project forum within a short time period (couple of days). Happened to me once and I had a troublesome time getting Dr Caldwall to remove the prime from Walli and allocate it to me. Thus I am wary of SRBase.

From the Pentathlon website:-

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:

Marathon (14 days)
    Subprojekt (sic) of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators
    Sprint (3 days)
    CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1
    City Run (5 days)
    CPU project
    Cross Country (5 days)
    CPU or GPU project
    Javelin Throw (5 x 1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)
    CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1

Each team may cast four votes for projects from the preselection below while signing up. These votes will be taken into account for the final project choice. However, only one discipline can take place at a GPU project, and only projects that provide workunits with a quorum of 1 can be chosen for Sprint and Javelin Throw. The projects chosen for the Pentathlon will therefore not necessarily be the four projects with the most votes.
    Quorum CPU GPU
    Quorum 1 Cosmology@Home
    LHC@home
    NFS@Home
    SRBase
    YAFU
    yoyo@home Collatz Conjecture
    Quorum 2 Amicable Numbers*
    RakeSearch Einstein@Home
    SETI@home

*: Amicable Numbers is listed as a CPU project this year, because the GPU application is relatively inefficient and uses very much CPU time at the moment.

Projects are not eligible if they

were chosen in last year's Pentathlon (Asteroids@home, NumberFields@home, PrimeGrid, Rosetta@home, Universe@Home)
    cannot provide a sufficient number of workunits
    do not support at least Windows and Linux
    provide non-CPU-intensive (NCI) applications
    use buggy or test-only applications
    do not allow the creation of new accounts
    do not support WebRPC

To keep it as transparent as possible, we will publish the suggestions of every team when announcing the final project.

You mean this I guess.

Marathon (14 days) Subprojekt of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators
    Sprint/Cross Country/Javelin GPU: Collatz (Seti?)
    City Run/Sprint/Cross Country/Javelin CPU: Amicable Numbers, Yoyo, Yafu, SRBase -but read Vaughan's warning.

You mean this I guess.
    Yes, but his email notification system doesn't work. So you must login to his project forum to read the PM and respond immediately or he will steal the primes that your computers have found.

Marathon (14 days) Subprojekt of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators
    Sprint/Cross Country/Javelin GPU: Collatz (Seti?)
    City Run/Sprint/Cross Country/Javelin CPU: Amicable Numbers, Yoyo, Yafu, SRBase -but read Vaughan's warning.
    Collatz - good for points. GPU doesn't get too stressed so I like it.

Amicable - also good points.

Yoyo or Yafu - neither are generous

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Collatz - good for points. GPU doesn't get too stressed so I like it.

Amicable - also good points.

Yoyo or Yafu - neither are generous
    Alternatives are Cosmology@Home, LHC@home and NFS@Home

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast