Thread: The Arch Family

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Arch Family

There's more to Linux than Ubuntu variants. Arch Linux for instead is our captain's favo(u)rite.

The Arch Linux family
    Flavor
    Description Arch Linux is a Linux distribution for computers based on x86-64 architectures. It is composed predominantly of free and open-source software, and supports community involvement. The design approach of the development team follows the KISS principle ("keep it simple, stupid") as the general guideline, and focuses on elegance, code correctness, minimalism and simplicity, and expects the user to be willing to make some effort to understand the system's operation. ArchBang Linux is a lightweight distribution based on Arch Linux. Using the Openbox window manager, it is fast, up-to-date and suitable for both desktop and portable systems. ArchLabs is a distribution based on Arch Linux and featuring the Openbox window manager as the primary desktop interface. ArchLabs is a 64-bit, rolling release distribution which provides a live DVD. The distribution can be installed using the AL-Installer system installer. Antergos is a modern, elegant and powerful operating system based on Arch Linux. It started life under the name of Cinnarch, combining the Cinnamon desktop with the Arch Linux distribution, but the project has moved on from its original goals and now offers a choice of several desktops, including GNOME 3 (default), Cinnamon, Razor-qt and Xfce. Antergos also provides its own graphical installation program, Cnchi. Manjaro Linux is a fast, user-friendly, desktop-oriented operating system based on Arch Linux. Key features include intuitive installation process, automatic hardware detection, stable rolling-release model, ability to install multiple kernels, special Bash scripts for managing graphics drivers and extensive desktop configurability. Manjaro Linux offers Xfce as the core desktop options, as well as KDE, GNOME and a minimalist Net edition for more advanced users. Community-supported desktop flavours are also available. Parabola GNU/Linux-libre is an unofficial "libre" variant of Arch Linux. It aims to provide a fully free (as in freedom) distribution based on the packages of the Arch Linux project, with packages optimised for i686 and x86_64 processors. The goal is to give the users complete control over their systems with 100% "libre" software. Parabola GNU/Linux-libre is listed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF) as a fully free software distribution. Besides a standard installation CD image, the project also provides a live/rescue DVD image with MATE as the default desktop environment.
    Architecture x86_64, i386, ARM x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64, i386, ARMv7
    Status Active Active Active Active Active Active
    Desktop Cinnamon, Enlightenment, Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Mate, Xfce i3, Openbox (Default) bspwm, Cinnamon, i3-gaps, dwm, GNOME, KDE Plasma, Openbox (Default), Xfce Cinnamon, GNOME3 (Default), KDE, MATE, Openbox, Xfce Awesome, bspwm, Budgie, Cinnamon, Deepin, GNOME, i3, KDE Plasma, LXQt, MATE, Openbox, Xfce (Default) Blackbox, Fluxbox, GNOME, IceWM, KDE, LXDE, MATE (Default), Openbox, WMaker, Xfce
    CPU Req x86_64 CPU x86_64 CPU
    (1 GHz or better recommended)
    x86_64 CPU
    (1.4 GHz or better recommended)
    x86_64 CPU
    x86_64 CPU
    i686 CPU
    (better recommended)
    Ram Req 512 MB
    (2 GB or more recommended)
    512 MB
    (1 GB or more recommended)
    512 MB
    (1 GB or more recommended)
    512 MB
    (2 GB or more recommended)
    1 GB
    (more recommended)
    256 MB
    (more recommended)
    Disk Space 10-20 GB 5-15 GB 10-15 GB 6-15 GB 30 GB 800 MB
    (more recommended)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.