Thread: SETI@home News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

SETI@home News

20 years and counting!
    Happy Anniversary! On this date in 1999, SETI@home came online. Since then millions of our volunteers have helped us sift through petabytes of data from multiple radio telescopes. ET still hasn't shown up to the party.

We're not discouraged. We're able to examine less than a tenth of a percent of the radio spectrum, over only 1/3 of the sky and a limited number of additional stars. But our capabilities are increasing every day. In 1999 it took up to a week to process a single workunit on a home PC. Now, on a machine with a GPU, it might only take a few minutes to do a far more detailed and more sensitive analysis. Who knows what the next 20 years will bring?

More...

That is wrong. I was running the Seti@Home as a screensaver on my 486 Win 3.1 computer back in mid 1998.

I've found a Seti@Home IBM team dating back to March 1999....
    I used to crunch the first year(s) under an IBM account too. I started for my own in 2000, no longer working at IBM International Global Networking Services, or its successor: AT&T International Global Networking Services.
    During the early years of Seti@Home (Now called Seti Classic) we used SetiSPy from the late Roelof Englebrecht, and SetiDriver.

David being the one and only Dr. David P. Anderson
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-18-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    That is wrong. I was running the Seti@Home as a screensaver on my 486 Win 3.1 computer back in mid 1998.
    Vaughan may be one of the first: a Seti News page from 1998

Correct Dirk. I was running it at work and I left that job in July 1998. At home I had 3 computers: my Pentium 100, my wife's 286 and my son's 486.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Correct Dirk. I was running it at work and I left that job in July 1998. At home I had 3 computers: my Pentium 100, my wife's 286 and my son's 486.
    We can prove it too:cert_team.JPG AMD Users as a team contributes since March 1, 1999 (at least)

This is the origin of the date May 17 1999:19990517-origin.jpg
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-18-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I used to crunch the first year(s) under an IBM account too. I started for my own in 2000, no longer working at IBM International Global Networking Service
    my uncle works/worked for IBM and then got moved to GloFo, tho i don't think i've talked to him since Ryzen came out

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    my uncle works/worked for IBM and then got moved to GloFo, tho i don't think i've talked to him since Ryzen came out
    Friend of mine works at GoFlo (and before at IBM) and he says all rumors about more cores are true