Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 year Diamond badge anniversary of crunching

If GPU makes it to open pandemics project at WCG that would greatly help your pharm reach new heights at wcg. I hope the addition of GPU goes well for this project.

I have to dust of my GPUs and start getting a platform ready. This could be interesting when the GPU application launches for this. It has been a long time since WCG has had a project with a GPU application

Congratulations with the 50 year Diamond badge!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    I have to dust of my GPUs and start getting a platform ready. This could be interesting when the GPU application launches for this. It has been a long time since WCG has had a project with a GPU application
    That calls for either a Radeon 5600XT, or a wait for a new Ampère (named after André-Marie Ampère) GPU from team green......Ampere could offer anywhere between a 10 and 20% IPC increase over Turing and double the Tensor cores per SM. Ampere will also offer 4x the ray tracing performance per tier......Nvidia Ampere Purportedly 50% Faster Than Turing At Half The Power Consumption. When you have more systems you can divide the GPUs over your farm. Some crazy rumour has it that AMD GPUs are better in Intel systems and nVidia does better in AMD systems, but that's just hearsay/heresy!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-13-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    256 threads running needs 128 cores (with two-way multi threading)
    128 cores is either
    • two 64-core Epyc 7662, 7742 or 7H12, needing one mobo, one PSU, one set or RAM, one SSD, and one video card. In long term maintenance/running costs the cheapest option.
    • two 64-core Epyc 7702Ps, needing two mobo's, two PSUs, two sets or RAM, two SSDs, and two video cards.
    • two Ryzen Threadripper 3990X systems, needing two mobo's, two PSUs, two sets or RAM, two SSDs, and two video cards. <-This might actually be the cheapest option, purchase-wise.
    • eight Ryzen 9 3950X CPUs, needing eight mobo's, eight PSUs, eight sets or RAM, eight SSDs, and eight video cards.
    • sixteen Ryzen 7 3700X CPUs, needing sixteen mobo's, sixteen PSUs, sixteen sets or RAM, sixteen SSDs, and sixteen video cards. Think of the noise and the heat....

You could do a few systems headless, but I try to have a working GPU with each and every one of my active systems.
    i'm lucky enough to be about an hour away from a Microcenter, and they have a combo deals...

i could do 11 10 3900Xes + B450M Pro4s for $460 each or $4600 in total before all the other components... (at first i started out with 11 to reach 132 cores but when i realized the aggregate GHz would be greater due to greater base clock (not even considering greater boosting), i dropped it to 120 cores)

whereas 2 3990Xes are $3600 + $400 minimum for board

edit: via Microcenter, i could also do 20 3600s (with B450M DS3H since VRM requirements aren't as great) for $4160

10 3900Xes are 456 GHz in total (base) whereas
    2 3990Xes are 371.2 GHz

edit: and 20 3600s are 432 GHz

...and with the 10-20 system scenario, you might be able to save a little on SSDs if you make a server and maybe get the other systems to netboot somehow
    Last edited by plonk420; 07-25-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    If GPU makes it to open pandemics project at WCG that would greatly help your pharm reach new heights at wcg. I hope the addition of GPU goes well for this project.
    did someone (of importance) mention that this was coming/likely/whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    or a wait for a new Ampère (named after André-Marie Ampère) GPU from team green......
    don't forget about the 2060 KO, which is almost a 2080 in (at least some) compute functionality

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    don't forget about the 2060 KO, which is almost a 2080 in (at least some) compute functionality
    Just wait till you see the 3060 Ti specs...

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    did someone (of importance) mention that this was coming/likely/whatever?
    Sorry for the delay in reply as i've been distracted with redoing the cooling loops and shelving and wiring for the pharm. The information came from the WCG forum If the link doesn't work it is under wcg forums, active research, open pandemics, monthly calls with researchers. The admins mention it in this thread that researchers are working on it and have had promising results with it moving to WCG testing it. Internal alpha phase at WCG then I imagine we will see a beta phase when they are happy with internal testing. Hopefully all goes well and we see it soon.

I am still not ready as I have a few RX580s I would like to get working in a linux environment as I am not interested in maintaining windows 10 machines and their painful reboots remotely. I did upgrade to a 5700 but haven't tried much crunching with it yet other then folding@home. It will be moved to WCG when it can do work there as i'm not excited about the folding@home app.
    Last edited by Jason1478963; 08-03-2020 at 03:46 AM.

any pics of the farm??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast